2.1 Dormant Magnolia (1)

The Continent of Tian Long(1) was the largest piece of dry land known to man.

Although there were several smaller kingdoms and independent governances throughout the continent, the most well-known Empire was the thousand-year-old ancient Dynasty of Zuo (2).

The core of this dominating empire was located at the most strategic and blessed land on the continent. The settlements which millions of people called home was surrounded by natural barriers and lush greeneries, as well as abundant water sources that had blessed their livelihood for many generations.

 The settlements which millions of people called home was surrounded by natural barriers and lush greeneries, as well as abundant water sources that had blessed their livelihood for many generations

However, the fertile land of Zuo was really the place to be, not only because of the aforementioned reasons, but for another equally-if-not-more important factor.

The tall mountains; the many pure water sources; the most lush forests; were made home by prominent sects, dabbling in the unfathomable and arduous way of living.

Cultivation.

Each and every one of the sects already established their many-decades of history, each having its own trademark form of martial-arts passed on through innumerable generations of teachers and disciples.

The sects and the Dynasty of Zuo had a tacit understanding -- an ancient agreement between the parties involved, made long before the current Emperor Zuo and the sects' Sages were born.

The cultivators of the sects could continue using the bountiful natural resources -- the most pure qi-generating sites, which was a crucial element for a cultivator's growth and breakthrough.

In return, the three biggest sects -- the most influential of all -- would take at least one disciple each, from the Royal Family's many Imperial Children, for every generation. Even if those young royal blood would not be able to reach the state of a Sage, they should at least attain a martial-artist's level to support their royal standing.

The Royal Princes who could successfully cultivate to be an Enlightened, would be the only ones allowed to be contenders for the throne.

Out of the three influential sects, one of them was an all-female sect.

Chun Ping Gu (3) sect, most commonly referred as Ping sect.

To protect the prestige and dignity of Imperial Family members, this sect was the only choice to cultivate the little Princesses of Zuo Dynasty.

In case a Royal Princess -- who was selected to be a Ping sect's disciple -- managed to be an Enlightened, she could opt to return to the Imperial Family, or to further pursue her cultivation in Ping sect to possibly be a Sage.

However, this had never happened before, for the general countenance and innate qi of the Royal Blood did not suit the cultivation path of the sect.

Ping sect dabbled in art of cultivation most suited for females - yin cultivation. The sect was located in a secluded valley, with mist constantly shrouding and masking its existence from the outside world. The valley exuded cool energy all-year-round and also possessed the purest water source on the continent. It allowed the practitioners to flourish, assisting their cultivation greatly. Although being the only sect of cultivators normally known to be the weaker sex, Ping sect became one of the strongest three sects in the continent of Tian Long.