2.52 No Longer Waiting

Runexi's notes:

(A bit of) snusnu ahead!! The usual warning, it is kind of indispensable to the plot, so please skip the few paragraphs of adult content when you reached it if needed be/ if you're not comfortable with it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The vastness of cold white frost extended to the furthest horizon. A lone figure in white sat, as if she was part of the snowscape itself. The figure was totally unmoving, save for her dainty fingers that slowly but skilfully strummed the guqin on her lap.

Her long white hair fell on her shoulders and behind her back, pooling around her like silver satin.

Her lips, pale like an alabaster, constantly moved in silence, as if she was chanting prayers

Her lips, pale like an alabaster, constantly moved in silence, as if she was chanting prayers. Only she knew the song that she was singing inside her heart, over and over again, had really turned into a prayer.

["To be with my beloved..."]

["May I accompany you forever... ."]

An unanswered prayer towards no one. With every passing beat of her heart, she just kept chanting the same words, as if they were her lifeline.

The woman looked young, however the fatigue reflected on her slightly knitted brows and the lack of expression on her face, caused her to look much older.

Even her hair had turned white, because her mind and spirit had weakened a long time ago. She knew she was running out of time, she was running out of energy – and not just in the literal sense. She was tired, she had lost hope.

There was one time that she was still enthusiastic; it was when she sensed a birth of a baby in the Imperial Palace. The baby was only a maid's daughter, but the baby carried thin, albeit bright, threads of soul.

The china doll, Ji LanBai, was reborn into this very world. YuLan saw Ji LanBai's past reincarnations in the latter's threads of soul – during her life as Ji LanBai, then the next life as a wealthy merchant's daughter. In both lifetimes, she lived her life happily until old age. In both lifetimes, she had the same fated one as her partner.

In this world, because of malice that had somehow twisted the threads of fate, Ji LanBai's own thread had been affected. Zhan GuoFu had never even been reborn into this world. Still, YuLan did everything she could in her power to ensure that Ji LanBai lived a happy life.

This world's Ji LanBai thought that YuLan gave her the surname 'Ji' because Ji YuLan thought of her as a daughter. Ji LanBai would never know that it had always been her name, as YuLan had always known it to be.