2.7 Departing to Wu Shan Sect

An adorable looking little girl around five to six years old of age was looking at Zuo ZhouLei with red-rimmed eyes.

Her large round eyes and chubby cheeks looked especially endearing and one could not help but want to spoil her and ease her grievances when looking at her current pitiful expression.

She was wearing pretty peach-colored robes, fit for a Princess. In fact, she was indeed one of the many princesses of the dynasty, born from one of the Emperor's half-blood brothers. Although Emperor Zuo was not her father, having a blood tie to the Zuo lineage gave her enough status and wealth from the moment she was born for her whole lifetime, if she chose to stay within the confines of the Dynasty and abide by the monarch's rule.

But at this time, the girl was obviously too young to think about what the future held. She continued to sniffle back a sob as she tightly gripped her handkerchief, looking at the indifferent looking young boy in front of her.

Zuo ZhouLei was currently over six years of age.

Even before his birthday, Lady Shuan had sent one of her maids to Wu Shan sect, imploring her shibo to fetch Zuo ZhouLei to be admitted to the sect after his sixth birthday.

Although it was not implicitly said, everyone saw that Lady Shuan's already weakening countenance grew even worse for the past couple of years. The adults of the Imperial Family could see that she most probably wished for her son to not witness her death, hence she wanted Sage Shen Zheng to take her son away. Nevertheless, none of the many older Princes and Princesses interfered. In the Imperial Palace, it was every man and woman for themselves. How would they have the time to worry or pay more attention than necessary to a concubine and her son?

It did not matter that Shuan Bing was an Enlightened; in the harem, only Emperor Zuo's words were absolute. Ever since Prince Zuo ZhouLei was born, Emperor Zuo JinLong was hot and cold with Lady Shuan as well, despite them being shijie and shidi of the same sect in the past. It seemed that Lady Shuan had lost the Emperor's favour.

That day, was the day that Zuo ZhouLei was to leave the Palace. His distant cousin, Princess Zuo Shan'er was truly heartbroken. She cried silently until she was wrecked with hiccups.

Zuo ZhouLei just glanced at her with a tired expression,

"Shan'er, this is just me leaving the Palace, not dying!"

Although ZhouLei had never thought much of Zuo Shan'er, she was one of very few people that showed genuine affection and friendship towards him.

"But, who knows when I will ever see you again." Shan'er sobbed, "Normally royal princes that embark in the cultivation path do not return. And the ones that return, will vie for the throne. The winner will have a lot of women."

"Where do I stand then? I am born without an ounce of cultivation talent. Where will I be in your future?"

Zuo ZhouLei could not help but to shiver at her words. They were almost the same age; in fact, he was only half-a-year older than her.

Although he was not completely naïve, these sort of words were completely inappropriate for a girl as young as Shan'er, and even more inappropriate for him to take it to heart.

As ZhouLei pondered on how to get away from this good-hearted but annoying distant cousin, fortunately, his saviour came.

----------

Shen Wei was already a handsome youth in his mid-teens. With his well-defined straight tall body, his youthful flawless face and calm demeanour, he had attracted a lot of young princesses' eyes as soon as he set foot in the Imperial Palace along with his shifu.