2.50 A White Orchid's Fortune

When I was five years old, people told me that I was unlucky, because I was born by an ex-Daemon

When I was five years old, people told me that I was unlucky, because I was born by an ex-Daemon. I have never known my birth mother, but apparently, she used to be a chief of maids at the Imperial Palace.

A few years after the mass purification that happened way before I was even born, my birth mother regained her memories and had gotten married. However, her weakened state as well as her shortened lifespan – that is common amongst ex-Daemons – had killed her right after giving birth to me.

Therefore, apparently, that was why I am unlucky. Especially because children born from ex-Daemons after their purification, tend to never live long.

But I think I am actually very lucky. I do not know what I have missed, so why would I think I am as unfortunate as people had told me I am supposed to be? For me, my current life is wonderful.

And children born from ex-Daemons tend to never live long. However, although children born from ex-Daemons often do not step into adulthood, I have just celebrated my twenty-fifth birthday.

Ah, I know that it is not because I possess some miraculous innate constitution or obtain any treasure to train my cultivation. If anything, it is the opposite. Children born from ex-Daemons can never be cultivators.

However, I have a miracle that is even better than cultivation.

This miracle is named 'Ji YuLan'.

Ever since I was able to see and recognize people, Ji YuLan has always been by my side. She is also the one who has taken me to this beautiful place called 'Chun Ping Gu sect'. Even Princess Cao Lu – one of the three monarchs that govern the world – hails from Chun Ping Gu sect. Even Princess Cao Lu treated Ji YuLan with respect.

And this Ji YuLan, has always been nice to me, a mere orphan that no one would want otherwise. She was the one who gave me my name, and I love my name very much. When I was small, before I knew about my birth mother, I used to think of Ji YuLan as my Mother. However, as time went by, I quickly realized that although I caught up to her in height, stature, and womanly figure, she has always remained the same.

Therefore, in my teen years, I adamantly requested that I wanted to begin calling her as 'jie-jie.'

I still remember her expression then. Surprise was written all over her face, but soon she smiled at me and nodded,

["Of course, that is only proper."]

I thought she had said something else after that, but in my delight and jumping up and down, I am sure I have misheard.

["After all, you have indeed called me jie-jie before... ."] is what I thought she said. But her voice was soft, as if she was absent-minded. YuLan-jie has been doing that a lot lately. Therefore, I ignored it as it did not make sense. After all, what and when did she mean with 'before'?