2.14 Faces From The Past

Her fingers were still clutching on to Zuo BingTan's sleeves, her gaze was fervent with hope.

However, no one had the chance to figure out what she meant or who she thought Zuo BingTan was when she muttered those two unfamiliar words that sounded like someone's name.

A breath later, save for YuLan – the new Enlightened who was still somewhat disoriented – the other Enlighteneds in the room sensed a surge of qi from the room's door.

The killing intent was weak, but because everyone had been paying attention to the pure yin maiden and her peculiarity, they were all caught off-guard. A flash of green passed by everyone's sight and soon the incoming blade directly made its trajectory path to YuLan.

At the last second before it made contact with her hand, YuLan was awoken from her daze and swiftly let go of her hold on the man and nimbly stepped backwards. There was no hesitation in that attack; if she did not evade in time, her hand might have already been separated from her body. The blade ended up grazing her white sleeve and made a tear in the fabric.

Only when the wielder of the sword directed another attack towards YuLan did another sword step in to block it. The clanging sound of two cold metals reverberated in the room.

A man in a blue robe stood in front of YuLan, his blade extended fully towards the attacker, the cold blade emitted just the slightest of light. His handsome face was expressionless, and there was no mirth in his eyes. However, apart from blocking the attacker earlier, he now just stood still. Although he was still in a battle stance, it was a defensive one. From his act, it was clear he merely intended to protect YuLan, but did not intend to retaliate further.

 From his act, it was clear he merely intended to protect YuLan, but did not intend to retaliate further

(the now adult Shen Wei)

Soon, Xiao Zi and Zhen Zhu stood by YuLan's side as well in a defensive pose.

The attacker was a young woman, not much taller than YuLan herself. Her face was small and could be considered beautiful. Her eyes were large and bright, with enticing red lips. Her body was on the smaller side, thin but still graceful. She was wearing a light-green robe, similar to what Zuo BingTan was wearing.

YuLan felt dizzy when she finally got to see the familiar face. It was a face she knew well, belonging to the girl she had considered a sister in her past life, a very kind girl who had followed her through her whimsical journey for freedom, even to the Northern Plains to the Kingdom of Jing.

The very same girl who had received Zhang KongJing's cold blade in her stead that ultimately claimed the girl's life.

The same one who kept referring her as 'Xiao Hua', a little flower, despite how YuLan had changed her name.

Everything about her was the same outwardly; but the coldness in the green-robed woman's eyes, her haughty expression, her disgust when she looked at YuLan... -- everything about her was not Xiao Hui.