2.10 The Sword Called Flower

Wu Shan sect was located on top of a tall mountain range and was normally accessible by taking a boat across a river stream. 

Such was cultivators' bizarre preference in choosing a location to live: they tend to opt for secluded places where normal humans would be less inclined to travel to

Although cultivators hardly need the boat, the facility was there to aid normal humans to reach the place. Wu Shan sect was bigger and definitely look grander than Ping sect, and was more accommodating to accept non-cultivators as guests. There had been a long history of Zuo dynasty's Emperors hailing from Wu Shan sect as well - obviously including the current Emperor Zuo JinLong. Therefore, Wu Shan sect definitely did not lack money. The past disciples that had left the sect to become Emperors or wealthy officials throughout the continent, did not completely cut ties with Wu sect. They constantly dispatch messengers to send resources for the sect. Most of these resources were in form of money and labour that were used to build the many structures and facilities of the sect.

Hence, the architecture and the amount of effort put into the work could clearly be seen; from the base of the mountain, up the stone steps, and the majestic looking gate. To the sides of the gates, yellow sugar maple trees as old as the gate itself served as a striking backdrop. 

They had only passed the gate of Wu Shan sect when Zuo ZhouLei stopped in his tracks and turned his head

They had only passed the gate of Wu Shan sect when Zuo ZhouLei stopped in his tracks and turned his head. He lightly frowned and put his hand over his chest as he gazed northwest, his eyebrows furrowing slightly. It was the direction where the Imperial Palace was located, where they had left from, several days ago. 

"Mother has just passed away." ZhouLei muttered.

Sage Shen Zheng and Shen Wei looked at each other with a bewildered expression.

"How... could you tell?" Shen Wei cautiously asked. Normally, only the death of someone with a powerful qi could be detected. But even then, it was usually only noticed by cultivators within relatively close proximity.

ZhouLei merely shrugged, "Just felt her presence disappeared."

Sage Shen Zheng lightly kneaded his temple. The boy was becoming more and more peculiar. Only a couple of nights before, he noticed ZhouLei demonstrating a flawless qing-gong skill. And now, he just witnessed the boy recognizing a mere Enlightened's qi disappearance.