2 : A Dream to Defend

The sun rose on Tagonia, stretched its golden rays across the land. The sunlight leaked through my curtains, and warmed my chambers with a warm glow.

     I sat up in the blankets, yawning and smacking my mouth. I don't remember when I've had a more comfortable bed.

     I opened the wooden door and stepped into the hall. A purple pixie fluttered past me, but I called to her. "Where is everyone?"

     She stopped and gave me a kind smile. "Majesty, they're in the dining hall enjoying breakfast."

     "Is Zahkrii there?" I remembered last night with urgency. "Did he come back inside?"

     "The new dragon?" The pixie cocked her head and glittery hair rolled off her shoulders. "Why, I hadn't known he left. Yes, he is in the hall at this moment."

     "Thanks." I left her and walked down the hallway towards the delicious aroma in the air.

————————————

     "Good morning, my darling!" Esperanza beamed as I sat down on a cushion. The table in front of me displayed hams, sausages, and more mouth watering breakfast meats.

     "Morning." I glanced at the other table occupants. Deltul was in the seat next to me, and Zahkrii sat quietly on the other side of him. "Good morning Zahkrii."

     He nodded in my direction, but did not speak. He seemed to be deep in though. Before I could talk to him more and ask where he went, Deltul piped in.

     "Zepth, we were going to go fly over to the training fields and see the Guardians train." He excitedly told me. "Want to come?"

     So, Zahkrii was coming with Deltul to the grounds. I might be able to get some information out of him then. "Sure." I shrugged.

     "Great! I'll get ready!" He pushed away from the table and bolted towards his chambers.

     The three of us sat in awkward silence.

     "How did you sleep, Zepth?" Mother asked.

     "Fairly well..." Besides that fact that certain dragons are sneaking around last night.

     "And what about you, Zahkrii?" She continued.

     He froze and his eyes got slightly wider. "Uh... wonderfully. Thank you again for a guest chamber, your highness."

     "Oh, it's nothing." Mother waved a paw dismissively. "I'm sorry that things were so hard in Blatua. That must have been terrible. Do you have any family there?"

     "... Not in Blatua." He shook his head.

     "Okay, lets go!" Deltul exclaimed, bursting back into the dining hall.

————————————

     "Deltul, what were you doing in your room?" I raised an eyebrow as we flew through the clouds.

     "Uh... washing up." He quickly replied.

     "You never wash up after breakfast."

     "Then I was making my bed."

     "You never do that either."

     "Oh my dragon gods, Zepth!" He sighed exasperatedly. "Keep your snout in your own business!"

     "Deltul." I growled.

     "I..." He cracked and gave in. "I was just feeding my pet alright?"

     "Your pet?"

     "Look, please don't tell Mom." He frowned. "I maaaay have brought a fish from the sea in a bucket back home."

     "Deltul!" I exclaimed with a laugh.

     "When Mom asked me to fetch water, I saw the little guy swimming around and he came right up to me!" He defended. "So I scooped him up and now he's in a jar in my room."

     "Why couldn't you just tell me that?" I snickered and nudged him. "It's just a fish."

     "Puliak is not just a fish!" He grumbled.

     We landed in the grass, outside of the old arena. I recalled battling Nota in there many years ago... it brought back some not-so-good memories.

     Zahkrii walked past me and towards the wall of the arena. He climbed up and looked down. Deltul and I followed.

     Daniik, the Head Guardian, was in the center. He was talking to the new recruits about how to fight properly in the event of an invasion.

     What was he doing here? Wasn't he supposed to be at Leviguar with King Trufor?

     "Now do not turn your attention away from your target, ever." He told the young dragons. "Don't ever let yourself be distracted. That could mean the difference between life and - Zepth?"

     I climbed down the wall and towards him. Deltul looked around in awe, and Zahkrii shared his enthusiasm.

     "I'm sorry to interrupt, Daniik." I apologized. "Please continue, my brother just wanted to watch."

     "Oh? And is your brother going to be a guardian someday?" He chuckled, but it seemed mockingly.

     "Yes sir!" Deltul chimed in, jumping up and down.

     "But isn't he royalty?" Daniik looked at him with a sigh. "He cannot be a Guardian, you must know that."

     "Wha... What?" The light and joy faded in my brother's hopeful eyes.

     "The purpose of the guardians is to serve the royal family." He explained. "A dragon of such importance cannot join the guardians and be put in dangerous situations."

     "Daniik-" I tried to stop him, but it was too late. Deltul already flew into the sky. I told Mother we should've explained to him, but she insisted that we mustn't kill his dreams. He would drop the idea sooner or later, she said.

     "Deltul! Wait!" I kicked off the sand and flew towards him. He flapped harder, trying to get farther. "Stop, Deltul!"

     "Why didn't you tell me?!" He shouted, tears streaming down his face. "Why did you let me dream for so long? You knew! You knew it was impossible and you didn't tell me!"

     "Please, understand that Mom thought it was right." I managed to get him to face me. "We didn't mean for you to get hurt."

     "Yeah, thanks sis." He snarled bitterly and brought his wings down hard, propelling himself back home.