18 : The Temple of Pluita

"Run that by me again slower." Mother blinked. Nota collapsed from talking so quickly. If she had to repeat everything again, she'd die from lack of air.

"The seed we found in Grilop's den is part of the Tree of Balance." I summarized. "The Tree of Balance is what keeps order on the world. We think it's weakened, since Queen Hyla was able to come to power. The Tree theoretically should have stopped her."

"And so, what's your plan?" She leaned forward.

I exchanged a worried glance with Kintes, and he stepped forward. "Assuming the Tree needs the seed to become strong, we would have to find a way to return the seed."

"The Tree is in the Garden of the Dragon Gods. No mortal dragon has ever been able to get there, and I don't think we are an exception." I continued. "We believe if we can get the seed to the Temple of Pluita, she'll take the seed back, and return it-"

     "Before more lives are lost." Nota lifted her head and finished for us.

     "That's all well and good, but where exactly is this temple?" Moridax raised his eyebrows.

"It's here, in Tagonia." I answered.

————————————

We flew to the top of the lush mountains. At the summit of the tallest one was the Temple of Pluita.

The walls were crumbling, and should have collapsed long ago if it wasn't for the thick vines that wrapped around the pillars.

"You should go." Moridax nodded to me. "The dragon of prophecy would have the most luck contacting a Dragon God."

"Okay..." I bit my lip and began to step into the stone temple. The walls were made of a pale yellow rock, and painted with symbols and drawings of Pluita. In the center, under a hole in the ceiling allowing light in, was an emerald sculpture of the Dragon Goddess. Her eyes were sapphires, and her scales were decorated with golden paint. They were thin brush strokes that revealed the emerald beneath, but still gave it a stunning glimmer.

 They were thin brush strokes that revealed the emerald beneath, but still gave it a stunning glimmer

I bowed my head slowly and kneeled. "Pluita, we have something of yours. It has to be returned to the Tree of Balance."

I paused, waiting for a sign. Risking a glance up, I carefully looked into the eyes of the Dragon Goddess.

But nothing happened.

I blinked, confused. "Pluita, mighty Goddess of Nature, we need your help." Everything remained still, and I cocked my head to the side.

"ZEPTH!" A scream came from outside. I scrambled to my feet and watched the doorway to the temple.

A tree toppled, engulfed in fire. I bolted outside and desperately looked for everyone. They were in the skies, watching with horror as the entire surrounding forest was ablaze.

I unfolded my wings and propelled myself up with them. "What happened?!"

"We don't know!" Kintes told me. "We smelled smoke and turned around, seeing this! It's only spreading!"

"It isn't safe in Tagonia anymore..." Mother whispered with fear. "Everyone, go to Trufor. Fly to Leviguar and stay inside his White Castle. I'll gather everyone and bring them there."

"Mother-" Deltul gasped.

"No! You will much safer inside his halls and with his guardians." She flapped her wings and began to fly back to our village. "Go now!"

We all looked to each other with a combination of sadness and terror. If our home wasn't safe anymore, what else was?