19 : A Hosptitable King

Moridax, Kintes, Nota, Deltul, and I all flew to Trufor's White Castle. Memories of the journey here when Queen Hyla was alive kept flashing through my vision. No matter how hard I kept trying, I would never forget the fear that monster gave me.

The White Castle came into view, and all five of us landed outside the gate. The guards recognized me, and raised the massive door.

————————————

"A fire?!" Trufor exclaimed after we had caught him up. "I think it was wise to come here. I don't understand what's happening or why."

"Someone is undoubtably after Zepth." Kintes deduced. "Do you have any ideas who?"

"Well, we know the Blatua Kingdom has been upset they lost the war." Trufor sighed. "And there was an attack on Vulcen. Daniik saw the whole thing, although he failed to mention who caused it."

     "I see..." He frowned. I caught myself watching Kintes for a little too long. Only when I snapped out of my daze did I realize he was staring at me too.
Zepth, you wormbrain! I scolded myself. Stop! He's only looking at you because you've practically been branded for death!

     "Zepth..." Kintes slowly walked closer as everyone else was talking with Trufor, walking down the hall, leaving us.

     I looked to him with big eyes. No, no, no, no... "Kintes?"

     "Zepth, I need to tell you something." He inhaled and looked down in embarrassment. "I-"

     "Don't fall behind, lovebirds!" Nota called as they rounded the corner. "Come on!"

L-lovebirds?! My cheeks burned and Kintes was noticeably red. We quickly hurried back to the group.

————————————

     "And these will be your guest chambers while you stay here." Trufor concludes the tour. "The rest of your subjects may stay in the empty dens in the city. They are kept reserved for large traveling parties to stay at, and well maintained."

     "Thank for you everything." Nota smiled and Trufor bowed.

     "My castle is your castle." I didn't miss the quick peck he gave to Nota's paw before returning to his own chambers.

     "If anyone needs me, I'm going to bathe my bones." Moridax declared as he disappeared inside his chamber.

     "Yeah..." I bit my lip and glanced to Kintes. "Uh, I'm going to go rest..."

     "Y-Yeah, good idea." He awkwardly nodded and we both went inside our own doors.

————————————

     As I shut the wood, Nota grinned at me.

     "What?" I defensively shrugged and laid down on the pile of hay.

     "Oh just the romance in the air." She rolled her eyes with an evil smirk. I laughed and threw a clump of hay at her.