8 : A Proper Farewell

We landed softly in the dense wood. The air was musty as always. I wonder if Grilop liked the air, being an Earth elemental...

I was not prepared to see his horrifically mangled massive body... I don't suppose I could have been.

Without much exchange of words, we all dug until we could dig no more. Each of us gathered under the dragon's body and gently lowered him into the moist dirt.

His eyes were closed. I would say he looked peaceful, but he didn't. He never saw the White Castle fall, nor hear of the Queen's death. He seemed... unfinished....

"The seed."

My head snapped up.

"Grilop...?" I whispered.

"Zepth, the seed." He repeated. I blinked hard and looked at the ground we piled on top of the body.

"Please tell me you aren't buried alive."

"Don't be ridiculous." He scoffed. I smirked to myself. I must be imagining hearing him speak. "Just listen to me, I haven't much time."

     "What do you mean?"

     He ignored my question. "Go to the back of my den, beneath the scrolls. The seeds waits there. Bring it to Moridax."

     "Who?"

     "My grandfather." He replied. "Bring the seed to him, in the Blatua Kingdom. He lives where life does not."
     "Lives where life does not...? What on earth are you talking about? Your grandfather is still alive?!"

     Grilop's disembodied voice sighed loudly. "He isn't alive. He's a death elemental. Now go - bring the seed to him! Time is almost out!"

     "Why can't you just tell me like a regular dragon! Why are you speaking in riddles?"

"Zepth, do you remember when I told you the prophecy? The Gods told the royal reader that a dragon of both dark and light shall restore our glorious kingdom and rid us of Queen Hyla's cruelty." He reminded. "The exact words were 'A mixed dragon of dark and light is the one who will rid this world of all evil. For evil dwells both in the dark and light, just as hatred preys on black and white.'"

"What the fairy poop is that even supposed to mean?!" I cried, exasperated.

"You think I know?" He chuckled. "Naturally, I assumed that wrath was Queen Hyla, but it would seem your work it not yet done, hatchling."

I went silent and looked down, before whispering two little words... "why me?"

Grilop's presence felt... sad. "May of us ask that same question, young Zepth. We must ask ourselves instead... why not us?"