6 : A Fallen Hero

"Are you okay?" I snapped out of the darkness and nodded blindly. Deltul exhaled with relief, and ran over to mom. She was also stirring.

"What happened?" I coughed. Zahkrii wouldn't meet my eyes. I noticed his sudden suspicion, and stared him down. "What. Happened."

"Zepth, I have to tell you something in private..." He shut his eyes like a child, as if I couldn't see him if he couldn't see me.

"No." I growled and came to my feet. "Tell me now."

"I... didn't mean for anyone to get hurt." He whispered, looking down. "They told me to destroy the castle-"

"They?" Anger boiled in my blood. "Who is they?"

"Please understand-"

"Oh I understand!" I scoffed with hysterical laughter, narrowing my eyes at him. "I understand you were trouble. I shouldn't have welcomed you. I shouldn't have brought you here. I shouldn't have trusted you."

"It's not like that-"

"Who are you working for? Blatua?" I snarled, getting up in his face. "The Suns of Kirah?"

His silence gave me my answer.

"Get out! If I ever see you again, I swear I'll kill you myself!" I roared. Zahkrii showed no emotion as he took to the sky, flapping his wings and carrying himself away from Tagonia...

————————————

I suppressed the urge to cry. The betrayal hurt more than it should have...

Once the flames died, I returned to my chambers. It was now blackened rubble. My charred flowers in the crystal face fell over in the madness. I gathered the crackling stems in my fist and blasted them with a breath of black fire.

————————————

"Zepth!" Deltul cried. I ran over to him in the clearing.

"If something else is on fire-" I began with anger still rushing through my veins.

"You're not going to believe who just showed up." He shook his head in disbelief and led me to a swarm of the surviving fairies and castle servants.

The other dragons stepped back, until I saw what was the cause of this new disturbance. Nota sat next to someone I thought I'd never see again.

"Kintes?!"