12 : A Warm Welcome

"Fly!" I screamed. All three of us brought our wings down as hard as we could, shooting ourselves upward and out of the kraken's reach.

     The tentacles strained upwards, spiraling towards us, but couldn't touch us.

     "Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!" Kintes laughed shakily, regaining his confidence.

     "I see land!" Nota exclaimed in the rain. "We're gonna make it!"

     We flapped our wings, tossing the water droplets off our scales. The rain was starting to clear up, and the clouds separated. The kraken would retreat from its chase soon, as the water gets shallower.

————————————

We landed in a grassy meadow. So this is Haknu? I gazed around in amazement, but it wasn't that much different from Tagonia's clearings. Still, I was in a new Kingdom, something I've never dreamed of before.

"We head South from here." I told them. They were laying in the flowers, panting.

"Okay, just... let us... catch our breath." Nota coughed out. She rolled over in the greenery, shutting her eyes.

"Don't the trolls make us pay a fee to cross their channel?" Kintes inquired. "I don't have any gold coins."

"They only charge elves and goblins. We can just fly over it." I answered, glancing off in the distance. Further South, we would reach a steep ridge with an unforgiving river below. The trolls built bridges across, and live inside the mine entrances along the cliff, according to my hatchling studies. That knowledge could very well be outdated by now.

"Nota, did you fall asleep?!" Kintes snorted and rolled her on her back. Her eyes were shut, and she didn't stir. "C'mon, we gotta go. We don't have time for-"

A single dart zipped through the air and hit his neck with a solid stick. I watched as his eyes rolled to the back of his head, and he fell over, unconscious.

"Kintes?!" I spun around, looking for the source of the dart. "Who's out th-"

A dart hit me. The ground below me crumbled away and I collapsed, falling through the dark abyss...