Chapter Ten: I Miss You

"What's wrong with you?" I'm nervous as hell but I was definitely not gonna let him know that.

"If for some reason what I've been hearing is right, why the fuck are you going on a date with Lucas? That fucking nerd." Not that I'm even going on a date with Lucas, but why is he getting shitty over this? And how did people even hear about this? It's not the most exciting news ever.

"Don't call him a nerd just because you're angry for absolutely no reason." I roll my eyes, "Oh and not that it's any of your business anyway, I'm not going on a date with him. We're just friends."

Here I was thinking we were going to get on today and not argue for once. Not that I'm too shocked, the arguing happens way too often anyway.

I stand up ready to walk away but I know he probably has something else to say so for some stupid reason, I let him say it.

"You're not going with him," I smirk and laugh dryly while shaking my head. Is he deluded? Why would I not go out, as friends might I add, just because he said so?

"Wanna bet?" I roll my eyes at his pathetic demand and walk off.

I text Mia throughout the rest of the day and it goes by pretty fast. Next thing I know I'm at home getting dressed for the dinner tonight. I decided to wear a baby blue skater dress, not because it's my favourite dress but because it was my mums favourite.

I look out the window and the street lights blur as we pass. "How have you two been doing lately? Sorry, I haven't been around much, work it hectic."

"I'm good thanks."

"I'm fine."

My phone buzzes and I pull it out of my pocket awkwardly.

Mee: Hope you're feeling okay.

I just respond with a simple thank you.

"Was that Mia?" Josh asks curiously and I just nod. Whenever Mia is involved he's interested. Thinking about it, it's cute I guess.

"Yeah, she was just seeing how I felt."

"Is she okay?"

"Yeah, I think so. She is your girlfriend you know, shouldn't you know these things." I tease, but start to feel guilty.

Mia is asking me how I am but this past week I haven't actually asked how she is because I was too busy worrying about myself.

"Josh, you have a girlfriend?" Nadia asks, with a large amount of excitement in her voice.

Josh turns and looks, or should I say glares at me.

"Wait isn't Mia your friend Andie?" Mark now asks.

Let me just say that after this Josh had his own Q and A while on the drive to the restaurant.

*****

Rubbing the tired out of my eyes, I drag myself out of bed and a sense of dread, grief and sadness hits me all in one. Yesterday's dinner was a lot better than I expected, we mainly talked about my mum and recalled all the fun times we had with her.

When I go and grab my bag I hit my nightstand and a photo of my mum and I almost falls but I catch it before it hits the floor.

40 years old, that's the age she would've been turning today. I can still remember exactly what she looked and sounded like. Her light brown hair, the exact same shade as mine, and her eyes that would light up whenever she smiled.

Boy, I miss her

*****

The school day is finally over but it felt like it was going to go on forever. Multiple times during the day I've wanted to cry but didn't and that's all down to Josh and Mia who have been by my side whenever they can to cheer me up or distract me somehow.