Chapter 3

Jonah

2

½ months later

“Nephew, how was school and practice?” My uncle Odell asked me. “It was good. Has mom called? Yeah, she said she will be here Friday morning.” “What! She has to sign the papers in order for me to play.” “Has your mom ever let you down?” “No. I guess I am just ready to see her. I miss my mom” “Yall will talk tonight. I have to take off for work.” “Be safe unk. I will. And you lock up.”

After he left I went and took a shower then ate and got started on my homework. My phone rung and I saw it was Steve.

“What’s sup man?” “Not shit. Do you know Jordan the redhead in your science class?” “I have seen her don’t know her.” “Word is she wants you and telling others to stay away from you.” I busted out laughing. “Why.” I only saw her cause she walked by me and brushed up against my arm and said excuse me. I don’t pay attention to her.

All girls going after the light skin brother with good and funny eyes.” He says laughing. I laughed. “Dude I am mixed, bi-racial. My mom is black and the donor is white.” “Dude you a whole ice cream swirl cone.” He laughed harder as well as I did.

After talking for about 30 minutes we hung up. I continued doing my homework and it was a knock on the door.

I looked through the peephole and saw that it was FedEx and had a package. I open the door. Jonah Peterson. That’s me. Sign here for me. After signing I got the package which was from Duke. ‘And the college offers continue’  I say to myself as I read through the documents. While reading my phone rung and I saw it was my mom. I smiled and answered.

“How is my baby boy?” “I’m a good mom. I miss you a lot” “I will arrive on Friday morning.” “Mommaaaa” I dragged out. “I will go and sign the papers and be there for your first game as promised.”
We talked for about another hour then I went to bed.

Simone

Looking around the place I raised my son with everything packed up. I know I shouldn’t have lied, however, I want to surprise my son I smile to myself knowing I will see him tomorrow and we can move into our new house.
I crawl into this bed on last time and let sleep consume me.

-          Next day in Cali –

Arriving at the airport I hear my name being called I turned around “Odell.” I said smiling and ran up to my brother. “Hey little sister,” He said hugging me tightly. “It’s been too long. I say looking in his eyes. “How is my son. He good. He misses his mom.” I smiled and nodded. “How is our mom?” “She has her days. Some days are better than others and some are worse, way worse.” “Jonah still haven’t gone to see her?” “Nope. He says he’s waiting for you.” “We will go soon enough. And when Walter is not around.”

Odell took me to go to my new place where he and Patrick helped me move in while Jonah was still in school. They also brought Jonah’s things over. After bringing everything in we then we went to go and get me a car. I sold my other one and had some money saved up.

“Simone, what kind of car are you looking for?” “I like this one.” “It looks to be in excellent condition.” “Not to bad for a silver 2015 Nissan Altima” After signing papers and getting everything done I drove off with my new car. Well, new to me. 

I went back to Odell’s place to wait for Jonah to get home to surprise him so we could go home.

“Hey, unk I’m home.” I heard Jonah say. “In here nephew.” “How was school and practice?” “It was good. Coach Longlang said I am doing good. He is a great coach and football player.” “You taking the team all the way this year?” “Not just me unk but hopefully we will make it.” Jonah watched as Odell nodded his head. “By the way, there is something in the kitchen for you,” Odell said.