Celebration

People came to the castle at night fall with gifts and food and drinks. Families and the loners game alike. It was like the kingdom was one big family. Everyone was dressed in their best clothes. Lolana took in Rathelia, Gwemyth and I for the night. She gave us gowns to wear. I noticed that Princess Lolana was wearing the earrings that Bowen had gotten for her. They really looked lovely on her.

As she was brushing my hair, she started speaking. "You and my brother seem close. I've never seen him look at anyone that way."

"Which one?" I laughed. "It appears that they both have feelings towards me."

"Bowen has never been so comfortable around a woman. He treats you with the best he can give. You give him a look as well."

Rathelia laughed. "Vic? No way. She's an independent woman who doesn't need a man! Besides, Bowen is planning to marry someone. Well, planning to ask her to marry him."

"I'm sure that he'll be happy with whoever he asks. Vic, don't you have someone here you plan on marrying?"

"Yes, but not until after we kill Irseval."

Rathelia screamed at the top of her lungs. "Show me the ring! Show me the ring!"

"Really? You want to see it?"

"YES!" All three of the girls yelled at me.

I carefully took the wood and opal ring. "I know, it's simple, but it also is wonderful in its own way. Sometimes you can find beauty inside of something not so beautiful."

"Like you can find a friend in someone you once hated?" Gwen asked me.

"Yeah."

Lolana made the finishing touches for all of us. With that, we left the room. After drinking for a bit, Lolana and I were left alone as everyone went to dance. Rolande was so drunk that he was dancing with as many girls as possible. Svenon was dancing with Gwenyth as friends and Rathelia and her husband to be, Jovsin, were enjoying the change of pace. The band changed songs. Something slow. Everyone was to change partners and everyone was to dance. I didn't know who to dance with. Then again, I didn't need to.

"Care to dance?" Bowen asked, a hand out for me to take.

I smiled at him, laughing slightly. "Of course."

Before we started dancing, he kissed my hand. As soon as his hand wrapped around me, I felt a numb tingle go down my spine. The smile on my face changed to nervousness. My first time dancing with someone at a formal event. My steps followed his exactly. It felt natural to be dancing with him.

"I still haven't given you my gift." He explained.

"And I haven't given you yours yet either."

He looked utterly shocked. "You have a gift for me?"

"The only difference is that I know what yours is and you don't know what mine is. I'd like to exchange gifts at the same time."

He smiled like an idiot. "What is it? Are you going to accept my gift? You still confuse me."

"And you're still impatient." I laughed, getting spun around. I tripped, only to be caught by Bowen. I looked up at him. This is the closest I had ever been to him. "Bow, your heart is pounding."

"I'm with the most beautiful woman in the world. How could it not be pounding?"

My face flushed. "The most beautiful woman? Isn't that a bit much?"

"To me, no. I wasn't sure what to think of you at first, but I've quickly fallen..."

I burst into laughter. "Enough already. There's no need for a huge confession. I already know. I've known for a while. For tonight, it's about you and your kingdom. We'll worrying about everything tomorrow."

"Oh, but every king needs a queen."

"And you'll have one. I heard you were planning on getting married. I'm sure she's a wonderful woman who will care for you. And maybe someone who can take you on adventures?"

"Adventures? I'm sure there will be many adventures in me and my wife's future. And it's not Merradath."

Rathelia pulled me away from Bowen. "So, do you see him? Do you see him?"

"You're acting like a child, Rathelia. Yes, I see him."

She squealed with excitement. "Ask him! Ask him! Please ask him!"

"Rathelia!"

"You and Bowen could have a double wedding. You both have opal rings."

My eyes widened. "Rathelia! How about you go spend some time with your future husband? Jovsin spent a long time making that ring for you."

"Oh yeah, Jovsin. We could have a triple wedding."

I shoved her away. My smile looking so forced that Bowen just burst into laughter. "Planning on marrying someone yourself?"

"Of course. I wasn't sure how to feel about him, but I've grown to love him."

His eyes sank to the floor. "Oh. I don't think I can return the ring though. I'm sorry..."

"You have such a flat mind! Oh, I can't wait anymore. We can exchange gifts now."

"Really?"

"Yes really."

He pulled a ring out of his pocket. "Well, I didn't really think about how this was going to go."

"I was hoping for this after Irseval was dead, but I just can't wait any longer. You're such a dolt you don't even realize that I like you too." I told him, taking out the ring for him as well.

"Does that mean..."

"I promise you, when Irseval is dead, we'll confirm it all. There's so many plans that needs to be made. Right now, it's just another day together. I just want to spend my time with you."

He picked me up, spinning me around. It felt like there wasn't anything wrong in the world. I could pretend as much as I wanted, but we would still have to kill Irseval. We can leave tomorrow and as long as we have a clear path, we can get there within a day. For now, just being with Bowen made me happy.

"Another dance?" I asked.

He rubbed my back slightly after putting me down. "Always another dance for you. Anything you want."