chapter thirty seven

"Wait a minute. You're engaged?" Matt gasped, clapping excitedly.

"I can't believe I'm even saying this to you right now. It still doesn't feel real." Sophie smiled, looking down at the ring glistening on her finger.

"Wow. I saw it coming eventually, but that was fast. How long did you date before he asked you?"

"A year, which is pretty fast, but we're planning on just being engaged for a while until we're ready to actually get married."

"I love that for you guys. I'm so happy for you." Matt said genuinely, pulling her in for a tight hug.

"How are you telling everyone else?"

"So David wanted to put it in the vlog but not share our full video. He's gonna bring everyone to the TV and he's gonna play just the ring part to keep it between us. He'll just record their reaction he said."

"That's cute. I'm excited."

"Me too."

-

David invited everyone over to his place to show them what he had been working on. Sophia had her hands under a blanket so no one would see the ring on her finger. Matt sat right next to her, and the empty spot on her opposite side was for David. Their friends gathered around the couch, plopping down onto the bean bags and the stools behind it.

"What did you want to show us? I don't know if I should be excited or terrified." Erin joked, making everyone laugh.

"There's something that I want everyone to see. I've been working on this vlog for the past year and I wanted your opinion on it." David smiled widely, dropping down on the couch next to Sophia and going under the blanket with her.

David had asked Joe to film this part because he wanted to just be with her. He took her hand in his and intertwined their fingers, squeezing it lovingly. She smiled up at him, blowing him a kiss and making him chuckle. The video started playing in front of them, the usual David intro song playing before quickly being replaced by a song Sophie immediately recognized. It was Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves, a song that captured the way she felt about him. She had showed it to him months before. A montage of videos he had recorded started playing in front of them. The day of their first collab, the day of the snake, the day she drove the Tesla for the first time. All these memories that seemed so far away were instantly bought back to life. Sophia giggled when he put multiple videos of them singing and dancing in the car. There was the time they took Apollo to the vet because they thought he swallowed a piece of the firework (which he didn't).

He included some shots of her that she didn't even know he had filmed. There were videos of her playing with his brother on Christmas morning, cooking breakfast, doing her makeup, laughing. Sophia bit her lip as she began to tear up. She had no idea he had put something like this together for her. The screen went black, and it finally cut to a shot of the two of them at the restaurant. The camera was kinda far from them, but you could see him take out the ring. The entire room gasped, the video ending with David kissing her forehead and wrapping his arms around her frame. The room was silent for a few seconds as everyone processed what they had just seen.

"Holy shit." Zane mumbled, eyes wide as he broke the silence.

"So, you guys are engaged?" Alex smiled, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, we are." David nodded, rubbing the back of her hand with his thumb soothingly.

"Wow, you did it." Trisha smiled, cheering excitedly.

"You knew?" Jason wondered, raising an eyebrow.

"I know everything.." She shrugged, making everyone laugh.

"I'm surprised I didn't. You make me do everything for you." Natalie joked, shaking her head.

"Congratulations you guys. This is insane, little cub is finally getting married." Josh clapped, David nodding and laughing,

"Is there champagne? I want to make a toast." Jason said, standing up from the couch. They filled the glasses with the sparkling liquid and held them as Jason began his speech.

"I knew from the moment I met Sophia that I liked her. She was funny and sweet, but she never let you take advantage of her. She was a good match for you, Dave. I wasn't sure how well it would go, because you were still working through some stuff, but I knew she would be there for you," Jason started, holding up the glass.

"Sophie, you came up to me one day and told me that you were worried he wasn't sleeping. That was the moment I knew that I could trust you. You've always put David first and have always shown that you genuinely care about him. David, I've never seen you so happy. You're marrying an amazing girl who might even love you more than you love her."

"Impossible!" David smiled. leaning his head against hers as she giggled.

"To my best friend and to the girl who brings out the best in him. Cheers."

They all clinked their glasses before downing the champage. The group of friends spent the night asking them questions and admiring the ring. They stayed up for a few more hours before saying bye to the final guests.

"Edit the vlog tomorrow. Come to bed." Sophie smirked, wrapping her arms around his waist.

"Give me thirty minutes. I did most of the work already. I just want to put in their reaction to the video at the end."

"I didn't know you were making that whole video about us. I thought you were just gonna show them the proposal."

"I know. I just wanted to surprise you." David shrugged, kissing her cheek quickly.

"Well, it was very sweet. You did an amazing job. Thank you, baby."

"Thirty minutes, I promise. If not you can come and yell at me."

"That sounds like fun." Sophia giggled, pecking his lips before walking off to bed.