Chapter 5: Old Friend

As Katie approached the small humble abode on edge of the city. She remembered the first time she had ever approached this house. Built into the side of a hill with a cobblestone chimney rising from the stone roof of the building, it was a small building but it was well lived in. Dark black smoke rose from the chinmey signaling that the forge was lit. Katie looked up at the sun and realized it was just passed midday which meant "he" would be taking his lunch break soon.
"Good," she thought she'd hate to interrupt his work. Mostly because she knew that above anything else he hated interruptions, but partly because what he did was important to the welfare of the Academy as a whole. As she approached she managed to steel herself against the welcome she was sure to recieve. She knocked three times and waited for someone to answer. But as one minute turned to five and nobody came to the door she knocked again. But once more there was no answer. So she prepared to knock again, but the door was pulled open abruptly and a small heavy set man with a rather large beard.
"Hi Barbrotos," Katie began, but she was soon cut off by thick arm wrapping around her waist and lifting her up.
" Katie! By the Lord you are back!!"
Katie found herself smiling in spite of herself.
"Yes, Barbrotos i've actually been back for almost a year now."
"And it took you this long to come and see your oldest companion?" Katie looked down a little ashamed.
"Well you could always leave that shack and come out once and awhile," she replied.
"As stubborn as always i see. So what brings you out to my "shack" as you put it." Katie motioned towards the open door of Barbrotos' house
"May I?" She asked. His heavily lined eyes widened a bit and he moved toward the house waving for her to follow.
" Come on in. Sorry for the bad manners i don't normally have visitors.
As Katie entered the house she saw it was a mess. Tools and hammers laid strewn about and the only light in the entire place came from the central fire place.
"I can see that." Katie studied her old friend happy to see he was in good health. And other than a few grey hairs in his abnormally long beard he looked no different. Katie sat down at the table which besides a low cot, a few chairs and a old shabby looking stool, was the only furniture that seemed to be in the house. Barbrotos sat down across from her after pouring them both glasses of water. Katie took a sip before setting it down.
" How old are you now?" She asked. Barbrotos raised an eyebrow at her.
"Asking people's ages now are we? A bit rude don't you think?" Katie said nothing to that and remained fixed on his face. Soon the smile dissappeared from his face and it was replaced by a serious expression. "546, years old this August," he finally replied. Katie sat forward studying his face
"And you're still healthy? No problems?" She asked.
"No, none. Why are you asking?"
You know why," Katie replied.
"I told you im half dwarf they have really long lives, I..."
"They dont live this long. I know i just got back but you know i've been worried about you since..."
"Enough!" Barbrotos thundered stopping their conversation in its tracks.
"The first time you see me in 82 years and this is what you want to talk about?"
Katie hesitated, "Well no, this isnt why i came i just wanted to make sure you..."
"Then why did you come?" Barbrotos said clearly wanting to change the subject. Katie decided to let it go.
"Im here for a job request," she said. Her tone adopting a more commanding demeanor. "One only you can do."
His Demeanor changed as well, he became more business like. Sitting straighter and studying her face intently.
"So you came here with a job, that is far more likely." He paused. "Well what are you waiting for what is it?" Katie reached into her pocket and pulled from it a folded piece of paper. She held it across the table to Barbratoss, who promptly took it. He unfolded the paper and looked at its contents. After a few minutes of intently studying the paper he looked at her with wonder on his. face.
"Who came up with this?" He asked, his eyes roaming the page.
"You won't believe this, but it was my son." Amusement entered his expression.
"So basically he's different from you in that he actually plans his battles." Katie raised an eyebrow before continuing.
"We have to get these made before tomorrrow do you think we can do it?"
Barbratoss looked down at the paper in front of him. Katie studied him trying to judge his answer. When his answer did come it was the expected one. Barbratoss squared his shoulders and looked up at her determination in his eyes.
"Well it doesn't matter if we can or not. I have a reputationto protect so... We will get them done.