~Sixteen~

{Possible trigger warnings: swearing, alcohol mention

If I miss something, I apologize and please let me know}

"You want us to help you with something related to JJ?" Talia raised an eyebrow. "You hit your head on something?"

"No I-" Roman huffed as his frustration mounted. "Talia please, I need you to work with me here-"

"I think I've said it about a dozen times since last year, Garrat, but I- don't- owe- you- sh*t."

He glared at her, losing his patience. "Fine. You don't want to help me? Whatever. I understand that, I was an a**hole, I made mistakes, I ruined some things-"

Talia let out a derisive snort. "That's an understatement."

"But!" Roman held up a finger. "I am not asking for me. I couldn't give less of a sh*t if I don't get out of this. But the target JJ has picked? I'll be d*mned before I let him take down the dozens of innocents that live there. 

"There are creatures there that have lived in harmony and in the open for hundreds of years and he wants to tear all of that down because he's lost prey. I will not stand for that, but he's bringing his monsters in and I cannot stop him without finding more people who will help me."

Talia eyed him impassively as he finished speaking. Roman let out a heavy sigh, feeling thoroughly defeated.

"Well I'm not going to stand up for you, but if you want to argue your case to Marcos I'll take you there."

"Marcos is in charge now?" Roman raised his eyebrows, a small smile breaking across his face.

"Well who the hell else is going to keep everyone in line?" Talia crossed her arms. "He knows the most, he's got the most experience."

"I'm not complaining at all. Marcos is a good choice."

"Whatever. Do you want to talk to him or not?"

Roman looked to Logan, who nodded immediately. "Your call, Roman, but I want to help the Sanctuary just as much as you do. If you think these people can help, an attempt is better than nothing."

He looked back at Talia and nodded. "Show us to them."

Talia turned on her heel, sounding bored as she called over her shoulder. "C'mon, hairball."

Roman followed quickly and Logan took up the back of the line as the three of them made their way out of the house. Talia set off across the back yard of the building and then hopped deftly over the fence into the alley between the streets.

Again Roman felt claws on his shoulder and let out an annoyed growl directed at Logan. The dragon hissed at him and wrapped his tail around Roman's bicep.

Talia had her hands in her pockets as she walked down the alley. Roman rushed to catch up with her and fell in step a bit to her left.

"How has everyone been?"

"You don't deserve that information."

"Talia, c'mon." Roman sighed. "I can explain it all, I swear."

"I don't want you to explain it." Talia shook her head. "I don't care what your reasoning was. The fact of the matter is that you ruined us, nearly got us all killed. I don't particularly think you deserve a second chance, but Marcos might change his mind."

She noticed Logan and darted out in front of Roman to stand on his other side, staring at the dragonshifter in awe.

"Talia, where are we going?" Roman asked after a moment.

"Oh- right. This way."

They hopped another fence and Talia walked up to the back door of the single floor house they were now standing behind.

She knocked a couple times, then waited. Roman opened his mouth to ask a question, but was shushed before he could even say anything.

"Password?" A deep voice rumbled behind the door.

Talia clicked something in Pixie-tongue. There was a pause, then Roman heard a lock being unlatched. 

An elderly lady smiled at them. Roman had about half a second to register a hulking figure behind them before he was being grabbed by the shirt and dragged forward.

"H-hi, Marcos..."

"You want me to kill you or let Slynkie do it?" 

Roman swallowed nervously, looking up at Marcos. The kid was several years younger than he was, but also about five inches taller. 

"If it's all the same to you, I'll take Bree."

Marcos offered a humorless smile. "Won't do you any better... what are you doing here?"

"I need help." Roman could practically see the predator light flicker alive in his captor's eyes. "Could you... let go of me?"

"If you don't believe him we can just feed him to the wolves." Talia offered, slipping past him into the house. "I just want to see what Donnie does."

Roman swore under his breath. Oh he was so dead.

Marcos tugged him inside and closed the door. The elderly lady from before had disappeared, and Roman didn't want to ask where she'd gone. Talia led the way towards a door that must be going to a basement, because Roman could hear noise behind it. After a moment, he realized it was music.

The basement had been transformed into what looked like a sort of rec center-slash-dorm room. There were several beds, bean bags tossed everywhere, a huge couch. Roman counted four bodies, and then after a moment of searching found the little glowing speck that was the fifth.

"B*tches and d*cks, we've got company." Talia announced loudly, tossing her jacket onto one of the beds and dropping into a beanbag. 

"When did your language get that bad?" Roman raised his eyebrows at her. Back when he left, she'd been much less vulgar than this... not that he could really talk. He swore like a sailor, most of them did.

"Can't hang out with Luce anymore, have to deal with these dipsh*ts." Talia replied flatly, twisting her wrist midair and conjuring a beer bottle. She flicked the cap off with a small spark of pink energy and tipped her head back.

Roman turned back to the others, who were all staring at him now. He smiled nervously, seeing anger forming already.

"Hello again."