03| Five kids

Wahaj's POV

I race across campus, running late because Yilmaz kept me back, when I hear the last voice I want to hear. "Wahaj! Wait up!"

"Ayaaz, Salam."

"Didn't you hear me calling you?" He's panting, trying to catch his breath.

"Sorry, I didn't hear you. I'm in a rush; I'm late to pick up Layan and Roya." I was hoping my cousin wouldn't be so persistent. I should know better.

My excuses seem to fly over his head because he doesn't bat an eyelid.

"So, did you think about my proposal?" My cousin Ayaaz is my aunt Noor's oldest son, and despite not attending medical school, he made it his mission to follow me and pick me up even though I have my grandmother old car.

"I told you already; I am a married woman," I said as I showed him the wedding ring on my finger - I'll never get anywhere if he follows me.

I feel guilty for the way his eyes fall, so I put my hand down.

"I'm sorry, Ayaaz. You know I made a promise, and I'm under a lot of pressure right now," I say, feeling the panic emergence in my chest again when I think about it all. Coupled with the crushing guilt, I feel for not giving him the exact reason why I don't want to be married to him; it's all starting to become too much.

"B-but you aren't married anymore" He responds. "You are a widow,". He studied my eyes as he said those words.

I felt as my heart began to break when he reminded me, and I remembered. He is gone. (Allah yarhamu)

Ayaaz looked up for a second, and then he huffed a breath before saying "Come on, let's go home."

"I can't, I need to pick up Layan and Roya," I said as I could feel that my voice was so thick from holding back tears.

"I understand," he whispers. "I wish you wouldn't be like this, but I understand."

"I'm sorry," I say again. "Call me when you get there? Let me know you've arrived safely."

"I will," I say as I walk to my car, and then it's just me and the road.

My heart feels heavy as I pull beside their school to find that they were only two people remaining; Layan and Roya.

I waited for the girls to unlock the door and they quickly slipped inside, buckling their seat-belt.

I could feel their scrutinizing gaze. "I am so sorry," I speak as I waited for the girls to chat.

"Are you planning on driving us to the house today, or should we get out and walk?" Layan asked, snidely.