10| Nothing Makes Sense Anymore

Wahaj's POV

"She's coming."

"Don't look there."

"Jesus, she looks horrible."

"I can't believe what happened to her."

All hushed whispers circled around the once rowdy hallway. I stepped into the classroom to avoid hints anymore. I was hugging my books to my chest as I made my way into a seat down the middle aisle of the lecture room trying to blend in, I looked at the blank whiteboard in front of me, taking in the sounds of the students shuffling themselves into the desks surrounding me. I could feel everyone's eyes on me, but I didn't move my head to meet anyone's sight and decided to open my book until my first lectures start.

The third lecture of the day was Professor. Yilmaz...

I anticipated meeting with him, and that was the only reason I came back to school after only four days after Mrs.Chamerlin, the dean of the institution, kindly gave me a week to relax before I could go back.

I was scowling down at my book when the chair next to me scraped loudly on the floor, causing me to jump slightly. I heard a soft chuckle and turned in that direction. "Salam, Wahaj!"

"I am Mariam, your bestest of best of friends from when we attended Quran class in the masjid at the age of twelve." She reintroduced herself for like the seventh time since I called her yestrday.

I groan, "I told you Maryoom, I only forgot the things that happened to me after the accident not before," I frown, "How do you get better grades than me in med school when I am clearly smarter," I close my book as I finish the sentence.

"Photographic memory, have you forgotten that ?!" Mariam smirk, "I worry about you ?!" She states with a concerned expression as she then proceeds to change the subject yet again, "So did anything else happen after you called me at 3 am to tell me about your dream regarding professor Yilmaz,"

"SHHHH," I put a hand on her mouth, "How many times should I tell you to use your inner voice when speaking about you know WHO," I whispered as I slowly moved my hand from her lips.

"Sorry," Mariam says as she looks around her to find some poeple lending an ear to their conversation.

I pinch the bridge of my nose and lets out a strangled groan, "Please stop talking,"

"Ohh come on, nothing interesting ever happens to me, I live through you now," She says with a smile.

"Yaay me," I sarcastically say before, Professor. Hernandez appeared into view as he stood in the auditorium and started the lecture.

*******

"So far we've looked at hyaline cartilage, stratified squamous epithelium and pseudostratified ciliated columnar epithelium. The last one we're going to look at is compact bone, which I think we'll save for Friday since time seems to be running out on us." Dr Hernandez closed out of his PowerPoint presentation, and as soon as he did, the sounds of students packing up filled the auditorium. "I expect your homework assignment to be emailed to either me or the TA by 11:00 tomorrow night, no excuses to any student as to why it shouldn't be. We'll go over your answers on Friday in class."

As soon as Hernandez stepped away from the podium, Mariam and I ran toward our next lecture. Only five minutes and three flight of stairs, separating both talks and the sheep-like students start pushing their way to enter the lecture session, which made it impossible to get there on time.

On my second flight of stairs, I sow Elian as always with headphones plugged into his ears and his bucket of water.

I stopped and looked at him from afar as he stopped wiping and glanced at me as I saw him with a face as long as a fiddle as a glooming smile formed on the edge of lips.

"Come on, we will be late," Mariam says as she notices that I was not walking beside her as she retianed me from my back-bag and started dragging me to the class.

Professor. Lee didn't appreciate people coming late to her class, and as soon as we entered the room, we found that everyone was already there to begin the second lecture.

Shit!!

"I a-m so-rry" I knew Professor. Lee wasn't swayed with apologizes. However, I didn't know what to say as Mariam, and the rest of the group behind me stood like the wall without a breath. We waited to be kicked out of the class, as usual, But...

Something unusual happend to me, Professor. Lee looked away from her computer and said, "Get in Ms.Muhammad," with a compassionate look forming on her lips and a sad eye directed to me.

That sympathy look, I was not too fond of, appeared on Professor. Lee expression now that it was to my advantage I took it and went to take a seat.

"the rest, leave my classroom," She said as she returned back into her computer and started her lesson.

Mariam looked at me with a thumbs up and then left the classroom with the rest of the latecomers. Mariam didn't really care to attend a class to understand the lesson because of her photographic memory that she was blessed with. Still, as for me, I couldn't afford a private tutor like the rest of the student who didn't enter on a scholarship or have a photographic memory, so getting to class on time was the only way to understand a lesson.

As one boring hour passed, Professor. Lee knew that she was officially done teaching for the period. She scooted out of the chair as she did. She stood up so she could back up her briefcase and take it down to her office while I waited until 12:00 for Dr Yilmaz's class to begin.

"Ms.Muhammad, can I talk to you for a second," Professor. Lee stated.

I nodded as I got down the stairs to the middle of the hall to talk to her. "Ms.Muhammad, you have missed more than a few classes, and the headmaster already permitted your situation, so you are on the clear in that." She explains, "But I know you are here on a scholarship, so attending the classes are essential to you; that is why I will give you the slides of the presentation. I already did during the days you have missed. If you have any question what so ever don't be afraid to ask," She says as she put her hand on my shoulder.

"The headmaster already informed me about your short-memory and that you began treatment, so I couldn't comprehend how hard that is, but I know you. I know you will rise to the task and ace this semester hopefully," She added before she gave me a bat on the back and left. With her other hand, she gave me a flash drive which I assume contains all the slides.

A smile couldn't leave my face as she eased my life with the slides she usually NEVER hands down to anyone. Allah SWT has sent me a sign that he was looking after me, that is how I sow it.

********

When ten minutes later, I was seated in another auditorium, and none other than Professor Ibrahim Yilmaz makes his entrance –looking as handsome as ever- I look down. Still, before I do, I could see him appearing with a smile which never happens. He grants his smile to me before glancing over the rest of the classroom, and I wasn't the only one that noticed as he starts today's lecture. That was the only prove I needed that what happened in my dream wasn't a dream but a memory...