58

PHOENIX

Wednesday. Cass's trailer.

"Phoenix?"

"Hm?"

"Are you listening to me?"

"Yes, of course."

I quickly put my phone away and look up. Cass is raising her eyebrows.

"What did I say?" she asks.

"You just said that," I say, "that - something about Aza."

"That might be who you were thinking about," she smiles, "but that's not what I was talking about."

"Oh."

"It's all right."

"I'm sorry."

"You don't have to be. I guess you're missing your girlfriend."

"Aza just went working for a few hours."

"Exactly."

"I like being with you."

"So much that you don't listen to what I say and use your phone instead."

"Shut up."

"I like being with you too, Nix."

I try to turn my attention to the screen in front of us. My eyes stay on it for about five seconds.

"Cass?"

"Huh?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure. Just go ahead."

"It's... it's quite personal."

"Just go ahead."

I hesitate. I realise Cass has turned off the video. She's looking at me.

"Aze told me," I finally say, "about your mum. That she - that you grew up without her."

"Yeah," Cass says. "I did."

"And, apparently, she wasn't the best mum."

"No," Cass says. "I guess she wasn't. She had some drinking and mental health issues."

"So your dad raised you."

"He did."

"He's nice, you know. Almost painfully nice - kind of like you. An annoying angel."

"Thanks, I guess."

"And he looks like you. Or you look like him. I suppose it's both. Blond and blue eyes, tall. Pretty great genes."

"Thanks."

"You're both really nice, and really attractive. Not hitting on either of you, by the way."

"I know."

I say nothing. I stare at the empty screen in front of us.

"You're being weird, Phoenix."

"I'm not. I'm being nice."

"Exactly."

"Shut up."

"So," Cass says, "where exactly is your personal question?"

"Well..."

"Phoenix, just ask."

"Well, your mum..."

"Oh," Cass says, her face turning serious. "I see. So that is why you've checked your phone so often."