Sleepless

I didn't sleep much, one because I was in a new place and two because I couldn't drag my eyes away from the clear sky. Az had disappeared without my notice not too long after I looked out into the vast expanse of the sky. This room definitely came with one Cauldron blessed view.

I don't know whether it's because I was trapped in the dark for so long that I could just stare at the sky all night without realising the time before the sun began its assent into the sky, the splashes of colour alerting me to dawn; or whether it was simply because I was afraid that if I took my eyes off of the stars I would never see them again.

I always felt belonging when staring up at them. The stars. As though I belonged up there with them, not here. Never here. But I suppose I do belong here now that I have a family again.

A knock at the door startles me and I grab for any weapon I can find, noticing a letter opener on the desk.

"Yes?"

The door opens and Rhys saunters in. "Good night?"

I nod. He looks at me intently, noticing the bags under my eyes probably. He simply raises an eyebrow and then sees that the balcony doors are open, coming to an understanding.

"After Amarantha I did the same." He nods to the balcony. "It made me feel safe too."

I nod and walk out there, Rhys on my tail. I lean over the railing, knowing that I won't fall, and if I did, I know, for the first time in a long time, that he would catch me; that someone would catch me.

"You don't have to tell me what happened, but I'm here if you ever feel the need to. Even if you just want to shout at someone."

I nod, not knowing how else to answer.

"We'll be leaving within an hour, so I'll leave you to get ready."

As he turns to walk away, he looks back at me, as though he wants to say something else but thinks better of it and quietly leaves. Once the door is shut, I go to the closet and find something comfortable to wear.

The wraiths come in to see if I need any help as I begin to put on the trousers, passing me a leather jacket to wear over the top of the flowy shirt I have on. I follow them out of the room, leaving my hair to cascade down my back.

As I turn the corner, I see that the others are all waiting in the foyer.

"Sorry."

They turn to look at me, "Who do you want to go with?" Rhys asks.

I look over to see who is already with who and notice that only one of Feyre's sisters is with them leaving Azriel free. I walk over to him and he reaches his hand out, giving me the option rather than simply grabbing me. The others all disappear, except Rhys and Az. I nod at Rhysand, letting him know that I'm okay and I cautiously take hold of Azriel's hand.

It completely encases mine and I see him looking at me intently with worry in his gaze, so I give him a small smile for reassurance. He pulls me slightly closer to him and the shadows encase me as we vanish and reappear somewhere outside. 

AN - Sorry for a bit of a wait and the fact that this is only a short chapter. I promise that there is more on its way!