Welcome to Spring

(AN – I can't believe I made it to Chapter 20! I'm super surprised as many of you actually continue to read this and every star I get the more I want to keep this going – but I promise I WILL finish this story, even if at some points it seems a little rushed. I just wanted to thank all of you for reading!!)

The next thing I know the sun is glaring into my eyes, I spin into Rhys, hiding my face in his chest as my eyes begin to adjust to the sudden Spring light. He chuckles and slowly spins me around, draping his arm over me, his wings hidden like mine. "Come on. Let's get this over with." He says, guiding over to the HUGE castle-like building.

As we get to the doors they open themselves, Tamlin walking out alone. He looks down at me, in a non-condescending way, nodding his head. He looks up from me and over to Rhys, his stare hardening, making me think that Rhys was probably smirking at him, without me having to look up and check.

Stop it. Play nice, I say to him using my daemati abilities, simultaneously nudging him in the side. I can feel as though he raises an eyebrow at me, as though what I ask of him is absurd.

"Hello." I say, trying to ease the obvious tension, beginning to step forward, despite being absolutely terrified of any possible flashbacks that might occur. Tamlin looks back over to me nodding his head again.

"Hello." He responds, Rhys tensing up and grabbing hold of my shoulder walking forward to get closer to the High Lord of the Spring Court.

"Anything, and I mean anything happens and you will wish you were back Under the Mountain." Sandy whispers with a smirk on his face, but I could note how serious he was. He turns to me with a question in his gaze to which I nod my head. I'm not sure I want to do this but something in me says I have to.

Maybe just being in the place where my hell started would help me get better, help me get over it. Or at least would make me face it.

I hug Rhys tightly and he wraps his arms around me in response. "You need anything, even a tissue, you let me know."

I give a little chuckle in response. "A tissue?" I ask causing him to smile down at me. After another few seconds we reluctantly let each other go. He smiles at me after glancing up at Tamlin, giving him a final warning stare and winnows away.

I stand there and stare at the space that Sandy was a second ago. After a minute or two I decide I should probably turn around and stop staring at nothing before the High Lord thinks that I'm a little ditzy or something. I take a deep breathe and turn around to see Tamlin staring at me with sad eyes. Though it's almost like he's not there at all, as though he's lost deep in his own head.

Whilst he's distracted I take a moment to look at the castle-like building I'll be staying in. The one where my wings were taken. The one where my mother was taken. The one where I was ...

A cough jerks me out of my thoughts and drags my gaze back to the large tanned man in front of me. He gestures to the door with his arm, keeping his distance from me, though I doubt that it was from Sandy's threat. I'm all too happy not to talk, so I just nod and cautiously make my way through the huge doors and into the halls I could never forget.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Your room is this way." He says leading me up the spiralling stairs. I don't respond, too caught up in staring at my feet, knowing that I cannot afford to breakdown so early on in the visit. I want to prove to myself and the others that my past will not dictate where I can or can't go, what I can or can't see.

"What would you like to do first?" He asks as we walk down a long corridor, sounding slightly awkward as he looks back at me, his harsh voice resonating off of the walls.

"I was told I needed to come to a Court. To help where they needed it." I reply, not really knowing what there was to do in the Spring Court. "Where do you think that is?" I ask, scrutinising him.

He seems a bit stunned by my response, not sure what he should say. "I am not my brother." I blurt out quietly, and although that might seem a bit random it was something I felt I had to say. He needs to know that I'm not going to critique his every thought. He bows his head slightly, as if in respect, but I can feel him holding something back, as if he fears me. I tilt my head in confusion, yes I am powerful but the last he truly saw me I was at my weakest, so why would he fear me?

We stop in front of a door and he reaches for the handle to open it. As we walk inside I notice how lavish the room is, a large poster bed in the centre with large bay windows overlooking the forest opposite the High Lord's home. I place my small bag on the large bed, one I could probably get lost in, and turn back to the High Fae.

"I would appreciate it if no one came in here for the duration of my stay." I tell him, leaving little to no room for him to say otherwise. "I like to be alone."

He nods, "Of course. And how long will you be staying?"

"Until I feel I have helped the worst of the Spring Court's troubles." I respond, gazing at him, trying to figure out the puzzle beneath the mask he wears.

After a moment of silence I ask him once again, "Where do you think needs help the most?"

He pauses for a moment, it is barely discernible but I notice his uncertainty as to how to answer - as to my meaning of the word 'where'. It's obvious to me where help is needed the most in this Court. It is here. In this very room. In fact, it is wherever he is. For his Court cannot heal or improve without him doing the very same thing. Of course I don't tell him this, as he would probably roar at me or something. Feyre mentioned he could turn into a beast, though I've never seen it.

"I suppose the villages closer to the Wall." He eventually responds. "They were closest to the damage of Hybern."

"And how could I help them?" I ask, "Am I to help rebuild their homes, their businesses? Or am I to 'bless' them?" I huff and sit on the edge of the bed, staring at the vanity table opposite. "I do not know why I was requested to go to the Courts, to help. I don't know how they want me to. I am no builder. I've been stuck in a cage longer than most, I have no understanding of how all this is supposed to work. So" I take in a deep gulp of air and look back over to Tamlin, "what do you need me to do?"

"Go to the village" He replies after thinking for a few seconds. I look away, frustrated that we hadn't really gotten anywhere.

"Go to the village" he repeats, "and show them that we can survive, and that things can improve if we try." I look back up at him, some form of shock probably showing on my face as a small smile makes it's way to my lips. It might not be what I was after, but it was a start.

I nod, "Well, okay then. Let's go." I get up from where I had perched on the edge of the bed and head out of the bedroom door, knowing from his steps that he is following me. Once we are down the steps I turn to look at him in question and he furrows his brows in response.

"How do we get there?" I ask, looking up at him a bit clueless.

He huffs a laugh and nods his head in the direction of what is probably the stables, walking outside with me trailing behind him.

This isn't so bad, I think. At least I haven't killed him yet, or vice versa.

Yet.