[12] Doce.

"Here," I told Billie, handing her a plate that contained the canned food we had found earlier that day.

"Thank you," she mumbled quietly, letting out a small sigh before she started eating.

We were sitting around a fireplace I had made minutes before, outside an abandoned cabin in the middle of the woods where we would spend the night. The sun was already gone, Billie's angelic face was being illuminated only by the fire, giving her a soft glow as she observed the flames intently, the reflection making the blue in her eyes stand out.

God, this girl was fucking beautiful.

It had been a week and a half since we left Ariana, her mother and their bodyguards, all those days spent walking to where we now knew the safe place was at. Numerous posters depicting the road there.

Luckily we hadn't had any altercations, the trip going smoothly, but Billie's mood had been on and off for quite a few days.

"Hey, Billie?" I called after we both had finished eating. She only hummed in acknowledgement. "What do you call a bee that can't make up its mind?"

The former artist let out a soft groan, her gaze no longer on the fire but on me. "My biggest regret in life is giving you that damn book I found last week."

"A maybe," I informed her with the biggest grin one could ever have.

Billie rolled her eyes, but couldn't contain her smile. "You're a dork," she said softly, her attention going back to the fire.

I wish I was your dork, I thought, my heart beating wildly in my chest.

"I walked into my sister's room and tripped on a bra," I read the next pun, waiting until I had the singer's full attention to continue, "it was a booby trap."

She snorted, "god, you're so lame."

"Come on, you know it's funny!"

"No, not really."

"Okay, what about this one: A book fell on my head," I started, pausing until Billie looked at me expectantly. "I only have my self to blame--, oh wait, I said it wrong!"

She laughed at my mistake, "you ruined it."

"Wait," I cleared my throat, " a book fell on my head, I only have my shelf to blame," I said once more. Billie only looked at me, unamused. "Yeah, ruined it..."

"I'm gonna steal that pun book while you sleep."

"You always fall asleep before I do, so not possible."

"Yeah, but I wake up before you do," she teased jokingly.

"I'll hide it so you won't be able to find it," I said, waiting for her to continue our banter, but her response never came, her attention locked on the flames once more, a big frown on her face.

I sighed internally, my mind already working out ways to make her feel better, but I never got the chance, Billie's voice interrupting my thoughts.

"What's the point?" She asked, her expression troubled.

"What do you mean?"

"What's the point of all this? Surviving, I mean," Billie let out a big sigh, hugging her legs in the process, "why do we even try if we'll never get to have a normal life again?" She turned her head to look at me, sadness taking over her features.

Not to be that person, but how can she be so beautiful even when she looks so sad?

"We're not doing this outside, come on," I stood up, poured water over the fireplace so we wouldn't die in the middle of the night thanks to it, and then offered my hand for her to take, once she did I helped her stand up and guided us inside the cabin, making her sit on the bed as I barricaded the door, and checked the windows again.