vi. Losing Control

Loss of control- There are moments in life when it is all turned inside out-- what is real becomes unreal, what is unreal becomes tangible, and all your levelheaded efforts to keep a tight ontological control are rendered silly and indulgent.

Carmen was currently trying to process some of the evidence from her last client's file.

She was working on a pro bono affair.

It was not very complicated.

It was just what she needed after the past few months. She no longer remembered the last time she took time to study a case without having to worry about the well-being of her children.

At the mere thought, she looked up just to look at the framed photos on her desk. She let out a weak sigh as she put her pen down before taking one of the frames containing a photo of Freya and Luís. The duo stood against each other, Luís had two fingers raised behind his sister's head to simulate rabbit ears and a huge smile so rare in recent times.

She left a nostalgic smile as she let her finger trace the outline of her baby's smiling face.

To be honest, Carmen didn't always have an affluent woman. When Sandvik met her, she was just a housekeeper. She had been against him at first. She couldn't understand that such a man like him existed. He was gruff, rude, demanding and above all authoritarian.

One thing was certain, it was not love at first sight.

No, she had learned to see beyond the businessman.

The same man who gave her enough money to be able to bury her father. The same man who gave her a wonderful son and daughter. It was this man that she fell in love with. And in a way, she still deeply loved this man.

However, she was not sure he was still there. There were times, like the fatal day when they rushed their bloody son to the hospital, when she saw this man. It was the first time she had seen him break his iron man facade. The first time she saw him cry.

She soon straightened up with a slight frown at the sound of the doorbell ringing throughout the house. She put the frame back in its place before pushing her chair from her desk to get up. She removed her reading glasses before heading to the hall.

Again, the doorbell rings.

Carmen quickened her pace, the sound of her bare feet ringing against the tiled floor of the villa.

It was of no use warning the person of her arrival. The villa was far too big for that.

She finally reached the double doors. She smoothed the folds of her high-waisted dress pants before grabbing a handle on both doors to open.

However, it was not long before she raised an eyebrow at the sight of a magnificent Latin brunette with a slightly tanned complexion. She wore a long skirt reaching below her calves with a T-shirt and a designer leather jacket. Carmen was in favor of Dior.