x. Panic Attack

Breathe

Breathe ... painful.

Move... total agony.

At this point, the slightest breath, the slightest movement forced Freya to bite with all her strength in her lower lip in an attempt to gag her cries of pain.

She could barely stand upright on her desk let alone listen to her math teacher explain a problem on cosines and exponential functions. And she wasn't even talking about the damn headache that's always around now. The beating of her blood in her veins was enough to completely numb her. At the moment, she understood every other word.

Cosine... thump, thump... X factor... thump, thump...

Freya closed her eyes for a moment with a grimace at the sensation of the beating against her temples before suddenly straightening up at the sensation of Luís elbow awakening her from her stupor. She barely gave a look at her brother as she focused on the lesson again. Or at least she tried.

Her gaze soon turned to Carla and her compass. The blonde spun the tracing tool around. A bit like a ballerina in a pirouette. She was spinning and spinning and spinning ...

The more she watched the compass turn, the more Freya could feel her breath becoming faster and faster. The pain accumulating with her trance transfixed on Carla's compass left her completely no respite.

Suddenly Freya straightened with her hand against her chest at the sensation of her rapid heartbeat. Panic rushed down her veins as she could suddenly feel her breath becoming faster and faster. So fast that it became nonexistent. It didn't take long for her to tremble as she kept her eyes on the compass. So much so that she forgot the world around her. She could suddenly feel a trickle of sweat running down her neck.

The air was getting harder and harder to catch.

She gasped as she could suddenly feel her vision becoming more and more blurred. She shook her hand on the desk in anguish at the sensation of losing her senses.

"Freya? Hey, you okay?"

She barely heard her brother's voice.

Or her teacher's call.

Instead, she focused on the overwhelming sense of madness. She was unable to think clearly.

Her chest ... her lungs collapsed in her chest. She couldn't breathe anymore.

"Miss. Bjørkaas?"

Panicking, Freya leapt suddenly out of her seat, alerting the whole class. She immediately brought her hands to her neck as she gasped at the feeling of lack of air. The pain in her chest grew from an unbearable crisis.

"Miss. Bjørkaas! "

She ignored her teacher's call as she rushed down the aisle as fast as she could, trying not to fall into panic. She couldn't breathe. She had to breathe. She was going to die.