ix. Slowly Losing Her Mind

Freya gave the watch around her wrist a quick look before accelerating the pace on the stairs

Freya gave the watch around her wrist a quick look before accelerating the pace on the stairs. She readjusted the strap of her dance bag on her shoulder before descending the last step in a hurry.

"You're late."

Freya jumped with a surprised yelp at the sight of her father impatiently waiting for her outside the front door. She brought her hand to her chest to try to calm her erratic heartbeat before swallowing at the sight of her father's unreadable expression.

She opened her mouth in search of an excuse before changing her mind."I ... uh ... yeah."

"Why ?" Sandvik asked placidly as he lifted his large biceps, skimpy in his Hugo Boss shirt, to cross them on his chest. Freya narrowed her lips, guilty before lowering her eyes to the floor."First you miss a fencing class and now what?"

"I can still arrive in time for the course." Assured Freya in her defense.

In truth, she was not that late. She was just going to have to skip breakfast in order to get there on time.

"That's for sure." Sandvik said severely. Freya immediately looked up in confusion."Because I'm going to take you there. I have already informed Denitseï that I will attend the class."

Again, Freya felt her heart jumped a beating in alert. Only this time, it was not because of surprise but because of fear. It was already sufficiently oppressive to know that he was present during her performances but in her lessons too. Where she still made mistakes? Denitseï perhaps accepted her faux pas, but not her father. He wasn't going to be so accommodating.

She swallowed in the hope of removing the anxiety ball lodged along her throat before trying to follow after him as he motioned her out first. She closed her eyes in a grimace as she walked past him before readjusting the strap of her bag in nervousness.

She made her way to the Bentley as her father closed the door behind them before going down the steps of the villa. She grabbed the door handle with a shaky hand before trying to control her fear. She could not show such signs of weakness and anxiety when she went to spend more than twenty minutes in the car with her father.

Carmen had successfully argued their father's case for her mistake the other day, but it was obvious that he was running out of patience with his children. Especially after the humiliation that Luís dared to do the other day.

So she took a deep breath before pulling the door open. She put her bag on her feet as she settled in before fastening her belt as Sandvik entered in turn.

*********************

The more days of the week went on, the more Freya could feel her mind becoming more and more unhealthy. She could barely feel the pain now. Even her mind seemed clouded. She no longer even cared about those around her.