ACT TWO/xix. Time to say goodbye

Freya shook Valerio's hand as she slowly walked by his side to the grave of Polo

Freya shook Valerio's hand as she slowly walked by his side to the grave of Polo. His funeral was magnificent, worthy of the mothers of Polo. And yet she just couldn't help thinking that he would have liked something much quieter. It wasn't really who he was. He was someone good. And he hadn't deserved what had happened to him.

She let out a new sigh as she slowly walked over to the tomb at the sight of Carla and Cayetana a little further before stopping at the grave. She could briefly hear the duo talk about the investigation. It turned out that the police had accepted the theory of suicide. Lucrecia was out of the woods. It was the only positive thing about it.

Freya narrowed her lips as she stayed away from the duo, clearly uncomfortable in their presence. In fact, she had struggled to stay in the presence of Valerio for the past few days. This lingering feeling of guilt stuck with her.

She crossed her arms over her chest as she stared at Polo's grave, swallowing before feeling the presence of Valerio against her back. He hugged her as he kissed the crook of her neck before pressing his chin against her shoulder."Are you okay, mì cielo?"

"Yeah. You?"Freya asked calmly as she gave him a look over her shoulder.

Valerio watched her carefully knowing that she was forcing her emotions before pressing his forehead against hers."Everything will end up getting better. You'll see. I promise you."

"I hope you're right."Whispered Freya back before swallowing as she caught sight of Carla's father walking towards his daughter."I think it's going to be your highlight."

"Valerio."

"Only if you come with me."Whispered Valerio back as he took her hand in his before pulling her towards the duo with him a little further.

She narrowed her lips as Carla put her arm around Valerio's shoulders to present him to her father."I don't know if you know Valerio. This is my dad."

Freya let go of Valerio's hand to allow him to greet Teodoro Roson cleanly before raising her eyebrows at the disdainful reaction of the arrogant man.

"Nice to meet you."

Teodoro nodded, peeping at Valerio's outstretched hand before looking up at Valerio again as he looked between him and Freya."Yes, you reputation precedes you."

"I assure you, the reality's much worse than whatever you've heard."Valerio replied immediately as he shook Teodoro's hand, letting Freya bring her hand to her nose to hide her smirk.

"I heard you didn't even graduate."

"And yet, I ran my own highly successful business."Valerio replied, leaning slightly towards Teodoro confidently.

Teodoro nodded hypocritically."Yes, an illegal business."

Valerio immediately left a chuckle as he glanced between Carla and Freya before addressing Teodoro again."Since when are you scared of breaking the law, Teodoro? Relax, I'll mostly be taking care of PR. I'm the best at getting people to party."