Chapter 4 The Palace

-Later that night-

As we rode closer to the palace I was in awe, It was beautiful. 

The people watching from the streets weren't looking at the palace though, they were looking at me as I rode away on the white horse.

I waved to the people and they smiled. 

One of the guards chuckled, "Damn she's more beautiful than the empress."

The other guards nodded and another spoke, "The empress looks like a drowned rat compared to her, hey girl, what's your name again?'

I blushed and looked down, "Wang Shu."

"Well Wang Shu, the empress is going to hate you. Trust me."

"That's wonderful." I said sarcastically.

But another guard quickly spoke up, "But don't worry, she can't do anything too bad. She'll get in trouble just like the rest of us."

That made me feel a little better, I thought.

When we got closer I could finally see the main gate. It was kind of scary at first, but when it quickly opened, I gasped. 

It was gorgeous, but I managed to keep a straight face. 

There was many buildings within the palace walls, and each one was absolutely beautiful.

I was led to the one on the far left. But before we got too close all the male guards were replaced by palace maids. I looked down at one of the girls and asked, "Why did all the guards leave?"

"This is the Palace of Women. The only man allowed is the emperor."

I nodded, "I see. Who all stays in the Palace of women?"

"Some palace maids stay here, the court ladies, consorts, and the empress."

"The empress stays here? Then why am I going inside?"

"Because you are going to be tested. Depending on whether you pass or not, you could be nearly of any palace rank."

"Oh, I see. Is it difficult to pass."

She shrugged, "Not really, but since the new empress has took place she's never allowed anyone to become consort. Because she doesn't want anyone close to the emperor."

Just then all the other maids began to talk about the empress. "I heard she lied about being infertile just because the emperor doesn't actually lay with her."

"Ooh, I heard that too, and you remember that one court lady, I heard the empress killed her because the emperor liked her."

But at that moment the doors of the Palace of women swung open and there stood a woman wearing a pretty dress and a big crown. 

Everyone gasped and fell to their knees and bowing.

The woman smirked, "You dare waste your time spreading gossip about me. I should have you all killed!" she then looked up at me. "You! Why aren't you showing your respects."

She must be the empress, just as mean as they described, I thought. 

I slowly got down from my horse and bowed to her, when I looked back up to her she looked angry. "Who are you? I haven't seen you here before."

"My name is Wang Shu."

One of the maids nodded, "She was brought here to have her rank chosen."

The empress smirked and walked closer to me, "Really? Where did she come from?"

"She was brought here from a courtesan house, your majesty."