Chapter 5 The Promotion

-One week later-

Life as a palace maid was not so bad. I got a bed, clothes, and food. I just had to work for it. Which isn't a bad thing, it just makes what I earn more worth it.

This morning started like any other, I woke up nice and early to do the laundry. I went outside and collected every ones dirty clothes. When they were are all in the basket I grabbed the cleaner and took them to the river.

The river looked beautiful today, it was cool and clear. I took each piece of clothing and carefully cleaned it in the river. 

When the wind blew it disheveled my hair and I looked down the river.

Further down I seen a small walking bridge and standing on it was the most beautiful man. Who is he, I thought. I've never seen him before, is he new? 

Behind him stood a row of court ladies. He must be really important. I should probably stop looking at him, but I can't.

But just then the man turned and he was looking right at me. I gasped and turned around, while I aggressively started scrubbing the clothes. In the corner of my eye I seen he was still looking at me. Just stop, I thought.

-Kang Xi POV-

As I stood on the bridge I admired what a beautiful day it was. The birds were chirping and the cool air felt wonderful on my face.

"It's a beautiful day, is it not?" I asked to anyone that would answer.

One of the court ladies quickly bowed, "Yes, your majesty. It is."

I sighed to myself but I started to have an odd feeling, as if someone was watching me. Confused I started to look around until my eyes landed on the river bank. It was a palace maid washing clothes in the river. 

Normally I would have turned away disinterested, but she was so beautiful. Though she suddenly turned around and I was about to call for her, but that would have been improper. So I asked one of the court ladies.

"What is that maids name?"

"That is Wang Shu, she has been here for a week."

Another lady nodded, "Yes, and did you hear when she was being tested she passed every test but the empress was so mad she forced her to be maid."

When I heard the word empress spoken I almost grimaced in disgust, but instead I scoffed. "The empress flaunting her jealousy again."

All the court ladies giggled at my remark and one said, "She even had a real fight with your mother, your majesty."

"Really? This is unacceptable. I will have a due punishment set for the empress. Also I want this Wang Shu to be promoted to a court lady."

"Those are both wise decisions, your majesty."

-Wang Shu POV-

Eventually the man I was looking at walked away down the path and back into the palace. I let out a breath that I had been holding and I gathered up the clothes.

-Time Skip-

It was now late in the afternoon and I was preparing for sleep. My bed was made and I almost started changing clothes when I heard a loud knock on my door. Confused I carefully opened it and poked my head out, "Hello?"

Outside stood an imperial guard and he quickly bowed which I thought was odd, "His majesty the emperor requests you to come to his throne room."

My eyes went wide. Why would the emperor want to see me, much less even know who I am. But I nodded and started to follow him, "May I ask why the emperor wants me to come to his throne room?"