Chapter 38

Misha's POV:

I spit out my drink at my father's suggestion. His words echoed in my head.

You should go out to eat with Farrukh. You guys have never really bonded properly over the years.

'That's because I chose not too!' I was tempted to reply but one look at abbu's stern face stopped me. Everyone was looking at me expectantly except Farrukh. He had a sinister look on his face. There was a smirk playing on his lips and I really wanted to strangle him right now. Why did he look so proud right now? He had been silent ever since that time I hung up the phone but it was creeping me out. I had a doubt that he had definitely heard me. What was he playing at?

I had realized that I had gone completely silent. I felt mother nudge me under the dining table so I snapped out of it and smiled nervously as I thought of an excuse. I was surprised at how my parents were okay with sending me out with Farrukh but then again the jerk had a perfect image infront of the elders. He was a kind, decent and good nephew in everyone's image. I scoffed internally at how different he was from this in reality.

"Abbu, I have a lot of assignments due in the coming weeks since the finals week is approaching so I don't know if I can make time for this..." I tried to sound as polite as I could. Abbu looked at me thoughtfully while I saw Tayi ammi's smile twitch. Was her facade finally coming off? I carefully glanced in Farrukh's direction and he smirked widely as he made eye contact with me. Why was he grinning? I narrowed my eyes slightly. His smirk disappeared almost immediately as he turned to look at abbu.

"That's okay, Chachu, I can wait until she is done with her exams. I have a friend in Misha's university. Your exams end this Friday right?" I almost whispered shit out loud. He smiled at me but his eyes were glimmering with something else. It was victory. I returned his smile as I replied.

"Yes but I have applied for an internship at a designer's boutique so I might not be free after Friday either." I refuse to give up this easily.

"No problem, the results of the internship haven't come out right? We can meet after Friday. I am sure you can spare a few hours for me right?" He looked at me innocently and all eyes fell on me again. Damn it. This manipulative prick. I felt my smile fall slowly but I couldn't show this man my weakness. An idea suddenly popped in my head as I smirked making Farrukh frown.

"Of course I can. Infact, so can Rida and Isha. All of us should meet each other since we haven't bonded in a while as Abbu said." I offered and Farrukh's smile disappeared completely. His charcoal black eyes got darker as an ominous air spread in the air. I felt a chill run down my spine but it disappeared almost instantly as he glanced in my direction.

"Sure." I grimaced. How did he agree so easily? "That is if they can make it." I heard him reply barely above a whisper. I blinked at him. What did he mean by that? Was I the only one who heard it? Nobody else seemed to notice.

"Well, that's wonderful." My Tayi ammi clapped her hands happily while I held back my desire to walk out. I hated this feeling of defeat but there was something I hated even more. How am I going to tell Ibraheem about this? He is going to lose his shit.

And then I got an idea. That should work.

....

Friday came way too soon. I sighed as I stepped out of the examination hall after giving my exam. I was glad the exam went well despite the stress that was building up with each day. It was 3 p.m. right now, Farrukh was going to come to my house at 5 p.m. to pick me up. I had two hours. 

I wasn't talking to Ibraheem properly since that day because I had to study for my exams and because I felt like I would give myself away if I did. I didn't want him to worry. He had told me he was taking care of some political matters back in Karachi. Something about resolving a dispute among the people regarding inflation.