Chapter 35

Author's Note:  Hey everyone!! Sorry I haven't uploaded for more than a month. I have no idea what to write but I have a couple of ideas. 

Story quote: "I wish I had a proper life, why is that hard to get?"

Dedicated to: @iluvhutcherson

Chapter 35

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

"So, what will happen now?" Addie asks, that night. 

We were in the food hall having dinner. Josh, Addie, Riley and I were sitting at a table right at the back in the corner where not many other kids were. I didn't feel like dealing with heaps of stupid talk. 

Josh shrugs in the silence. 

"I have to try and adjust back, I want a proper life."

"What's wrong with it now?" I ask, confused. 

Of course I know how much he's been through but wasn't it getting better? What's there to adjust to? It's not as though he really did murder Jack, spent those sixteen years in jail and is now out and trying to "adjust" to a life where "murder" was in his past. But I wouldn't just that to him. 

He looks at me and frowns, in a way like he was saying, 'what do you mean? You should already know.' But I don't and so I wait for him to answer. 

"I wish I had a proper life, why is that hard to get?"

I felt a little upset when he said that. He didn't mean for it to though. I think he felt bad because I instantly heard him sigh. I don't say anything after that. It's silent. 

"Anyway, I reckon I should do something about all this," he adds. 

I don't think anyone knows what he means by that. Really, what can he do? He can't bring Jack back to life, no one can. There's nothing anyone could do now to stop what happened. 

"Like what?" Riley asks, stabbing his fork onto the plate. 

His tone was a strong and almost sounded like a complaint. Josh doesn't answer for a while. He sits thinking about his ideas, staring right in front of him at the table. 

"Help track the killer." 

My face twists into contortions of cofusion and shock. Help find Jack's killer! That's impossible and dangerous. Josh will get killed himself. 

"What a stupid idea!" I call. 

I feel bad for what I said but Josh just can't do that. By the look of Addie's and Riley's face, they agree. Josh immediately looks me sharp in the eyes. He looked like a venemous creature, his eye's glowing differently, like another mood had made it's way into them. 

"What is it stupid?' He asks angrily. "Don't you think that maybe I could do something? When it was partly my fault he was killed? Why do you think it's stupid Scarlett?" Hm?" 

Right now I just want to run off. I've never seen him like this. He's different. I don't want him to change. I already explained to him it's not his fault. Why is he still blaming himself for it? I supposed he was just angry about it all. He'd be back to normal soon. I really don't want him doing anything stupid like running off to go and find this murderer. He will be murdered. And this guy could anywhere. Escaped overseas for all we know. There are a lot of roads, a lot of cities and towns he could have disappeared to by now. I finally decide to speak. 

"I-I-It's just, going to find that guy will only cause more danger and trouble for you, Josh. Why would you want more trouble?" 

He puts his head down. I just tihnk that he's going too far to get things another way.