(Bonus): The Link series

(This is a lore chapter on link series gears)

Origins:

A few hundred years ago, when gear technology was reaching its peak, 5 scientist came together with one goal, "make the best mech possible".

With mech tech slowing in progress, they wanted to revolutionize it, to make something new, something better.

Putting their minds together, they came up with the Link system, which became the bases for the gears.

Once they knew what they wanted to do and how they got to work. Pouring as many resources as they could, they created the first link series gear, known as the L01 or Azrexel as he's called in the present day.

The AI and the early version of the Link system caused problems with piloting the L01, but due to believing that the L01's personality was the problem, they created the L02.

The L02 had moderately more success, due to having the Link system turn on for a short period of time, but that isn't what the scientist really wanted.

The L03 was made then. With a much kinder personality, this gear had the most success in being operated, however, they still couldn't get the link system fully operational to there standards.

When the L04 was made, the scientists noticed something interesting. The L04 only activated with female pilots. Early hypothesis on why that was the case was that the scientist that made the AI for the L04 was female and the first pilot to succeed in piloting it at the time had similar features as the scientist. Further research into the subject showed that it had nothing to do with how the pilot looked, as long as they were female.

The L05 was the last one made until rumors began spreading about the 5 gears which made the scientists try to be more careful from that point on.

One of the most interesting things the scientist discovered was the gear's abilities to interact with each other. When possible, they would leave the five gears in one room and watch how they interacted with each other by looking at what could be called "AI brain waves".

Each link series gear had their own space ship, that had everything they needed to modify them and transport them. These ships, like all other ships in the future, didn't need a crew to maintain them.

Due to the L01's violent tendencies for wanting to fight, he would usually be stripped to his exoskeleton to prevent it from suddenly going wild.

As more rumors spread, the scientists became worried, especially because of one particular rumor, that said a single link series gears could beat an entire space fleet which wasn't exactly true. Each link series gear has its own star reactor, which powers them. The reactor used a man-made star to power the gears if damage to the reactor could explode and destroy a space fleet. This fact was probably the source of that particular rumor.

But with that rumor spreading, everyone wanted to get there hands on those gears. The scientists then decided to move away from Mars to lay low for a while.

One scientist took the L01's ship and headed in the direction of the earth to scout out a safe spot but after word got out it was attacked and the scientists didn't contact his fellow scientists, it was believed the L01 was lost. I actuality, the scientist was attacked but escaped, knowing that contacting his friends would put both sides at risk he continued on to the earth, where the ship that would, later on, be known as the Box would land in a large hole in a mountain that soon collapsed leaving the ship berried under a mountain. It is unknown what happened to the scientists after that.

As for the other scientists, they split up to try to escape, which didn't end well. The L02's ship was destroyed in battle, the L02 it's was left in the wreckage.