M O V I E T H E A T E R

S O N G

THE LESS I KNOW THE BETTER - TAME IMPALA

J U N E 1 9 9 8

A smile rises on his face as he trails his tongue along his upper set of teeth, "You're right." He says, grabbing me and putting me on the skateboard.

I furrow my eyebrows in suspense. I kick my leg and start going but I quickly come to a halt, looking back at him and chuckling.

"I guess I know well enough, you comin'?" I ask and he nods, "Okay... get on the road, sweetheart." He says, beckoning me over time the streets that he starts skating down.

I shake my head lightly, getting on the road and trying to keep up with him. "Royce!" I scream and he laughs, "keep up!"

I laugh, "You're so annoying!"

"And yet you're still here!" He says, turning to me and smirking lightly. He wasn't wrong...

"Ugh! You're lucky you're the only person I know here!" I huff, acting as though I would have the guts to leave this adorable man, and he smiles at me.

"The only thing I'm lucky about is that you still like me after figuring out I do drugs, skate like a sixteen year old boy with daddy issues, want to foster kids at nineteen, and I'm just a straight up fucking prick." He retaliates.

"What can I say, my type is weird." I shrug sarcastically and he turns down another empty road with a shake of his head, but I see the hidden smile on his lips.

As expected though I do fall on the ground next to a light post. I know, classy.

I laugh a little and he gets off, jogging towards me and handing me his hand for help up, "So while I have you stuck in my hold.." he mumbles, trapping me against the lightest, "you're saying I'm your type, Sweetheart?"

I snuggle myself into his coat, pick up his skateboard he's letting me use. and easily get out of his hold. I walk on the sidewalk with a smirk while he slowly starts skating again by my side.

"Sure..." I mumble with a shrug, purposely leaving questions in his head. He looks at me with wide eyes and shakes his head, laughing. In a way of distressing after that mind-fuck I put him in, he goes faster, putting his hands up and screaming in victory while he skates in the middle of the road. I seem to think that he took that sure as a yes....

I giggle, and his shining amethyst eyes dig into mine.

That's what it was meant to be.

"We're here..." He mumbles quietly and breathlessly, almost nothing comes out of his mouth as he stares into my brown eyes.

"You okay?" I ask, running my fingers through my hair and then stuffing my hand in my pocket, the other one holding my skateboard he gave me against my leg.

"I'm great." He mumbles, completely pushing himself out fo his small trance, his arm going around my waist and pushing me to his side. "And here we are." He introduces, waving his arm around the coffee shop. He sweetly opens the door for me before following me inside.

"Welcome to Finn-" the cashier starts, but swallows when she sees Royce. His abs were on full display as she practically drooled over them, reluctant to what she had to say. "excuse me sir... you need a shirt to be in here."

Royce cusses under his breath and looks at me. "Do you still have your shirt?" He asks and I nod, having put it on while waiting outside his apartment and then put his hoodie back on since my body and hair was dry.