K O A P T. 2

K O A   P T. 2

A U G U S T 1 6 , 1 9 9 8 (HURRICANE DAY, FOUR DAYS LATER)

I hold onto my magenta dragon for dear life, I haven't slept in three days, it's too cold in the attic, and I can't seem to sleep without Royce next to me. I told him I'd come back and I'm so scared he thinks I'm gone.

The wind is roaring outside and rain drops one by one seep through the roof, landing right on my forehead.

I hear crashing outside the attic door and then a note is slipped under the attic door again.

I've gotten a few notes from my mom so far of things she can't say out loud. But most of them are some variation of "Only a few more days, I'll get you out and we will go to Royce's."

But this time the note says, "your backpack is in your closet, me and dad are leaving to get sand and wood to border up the windows and doors. Please Kel, take your chance, the door is unlocked. Go to Royce's. For the past four days he's climbed up to your window to see if you were in there. He came like four minutes ago. Go."

I hear her steps run down the two sets of stairs before the bell on the door rings lightly. I look out the small window and see them get in a taxi out, but also see the clouds brewing and the rain falling like darts.

I open the door, running down the first set of stairs and going into my room, the window wasn't locked, so a few notes were left on the ground in Royce's clean handwriting.

"I'm waiting..."

"Please come back Kel, I'm getting scared.."

"Please leave the coast for the hurricane, it's gonna be too strong. It's too dangerous and it's coming soon. I bordered my windows up and made sure the apartment is safe, come over here. I miss you..."

"This is the last note I'll leave, I don't know if you're even getting these.. your room doesn't have your air mattress and your store doesn't have anything stocked, just boxes. I haven't seen you or your parents in a while.. please come back to me. I can't do it without you.... xx Royce Jewwly... forever yours."

He wrote a small hesrt in the corner, and it almost made me cry..

He thinks I'm gone...

I sigh, putting on a jacket and putting the folded up notes in my pocket. I grab the skateboard Royce gave me, and stuff a bunch of my stuff in my backpack. I hold my magenta dragon close, the smell of salt water snd spice slowly wearing off, but still barely there.

My eyes go watery, and I rush down the stairs. I need to get there as quick as I can.

I step out, the water rushing all over me and the wind making the palm trees shake and shake. I go down the sidewalk, for the first time ever the streets completely empty.

I take the first right, wishing I could use the skateboard in the rain but I know it'll ruin the gears.

The water seeps through my jacket at this point. Getting all over my hair and all over my clothes and my shorts, yes.. I didn't have time to change, so I kept on the shorts.

Royce is the only thing getting me through as things start flying over the streets like empty trash or old parts of me and Royce's "baby".

And I take the final right to Royce's apartment complex, his windows boarded up and his deck empty. I get to the door, not having a key. I press the buzzer thousands of times but there's no answer.