J A C K ' S B R O K E N H E A R T

S O N G

MY EX'S BEST FRIEND - MACHINE GUN KELLY

also if anybody wanted to vibe and listen to mgk with me I'm down

J U L Y 1 9 9 8

I sat on the bench, money I've saved up to pay back Royce for everything sitting in my pocket. "I'm sure he'll come over soon, Kel..." Jack argues. I sigh and mumble out "It's been an hour.."

He takes a deep breath. "I've known a Royce for a while, and I'll tell you one thing, he's never late to something without a reason. I mean in high school he would skip, but now he doesn't do anything."

"Yes but he's probably hanging out with Koa..." I mumble. Laying completely flat on the bench.

"I'm gonna be honest with you, Kelca. We both now I love Koa the way she is, but I know what she's gonna do to Royce."

I turn to him and furrow my eyebrows while I stretch. "What do you mean?"

"Well..." he starts, looking out at the ocean and hearing the splashing waves. "Once upon a time I had the biggest crush on Koa. Like.. I was in love. Got excited every time she walked by. I stared at her constantly. I laughed with her constantly, so many different things. But then she met Royce in Sophomore year. He looked different then he does now but he was the cutest boy in 95'"

"No matter what he looked like though. He intrigued Koa. She's very easily distracted and excitable and when he wore dirty clothes and stayed In his own world Koa didn't understand it. Royce then lost his virginity to her at age 17. He had known her for around 6 months. They say they don't know a lot about each other but they do. Koa just didn't care enough about what he opened up to her with. He found no problem with it though like all the other guys. She has him on a leash while he's thinking of her with the idea that they would have the cutest love story. He's thinking that because you taught him what a girl deserves. Which is fucking respect."

I smile a little.

"He can't see what's in front of him, Kel. I know you've only known him for a while but when you've heard abt him and his personality for years. You're perfect for each other."

"How do you know that? I mean he obviously doesn't want that-"

"I know it because Royce was so messed up that he doesn't think of anything that he's getting for himself in the right way. He still has a pile of cash from his parents death stacked up because the only things he gets are long term. Like his bike or his truck or his apartment. You're not... youre not long term enough in his mind"

I swallow, deciding to finally speak my mind, "I know you're right, but I don't want you to be. I want him to now that he can invest in me because if he needs me to stay, he can just fucking ask! I'm eighteen in September. I'm almost out. I would come back immediately if I did have to leave. But I'm just his free trial of something he didn't really want but only got because it was free."

Jack looks at me with furrowed, sad eyebrows and a small frown. "Kelca you know that isn't true.." he mumbles, looking at me with intent.

"How is it not? Face the facts, the only way I'm staying is if He asks my parents to keep me here. But.... he wouldn't do that. He's trying not to get attached to me!"

I say.

Jack shakes his head and opens his mouth to talk, but looks around and shuts his mouth quickly, seeing Royce walk up behind me.