Denial

A/N: Please read the author's note at the end! It's important!

Alyssa's POV

I've barely made it out of Michael's house when the tears start to flow. As I get into my car, I can't stop crying. Not only does one of my closest friends hate me, but I just cheated on my boyfriend. We never openly said we were exclusive, but he refers to me as his girlfriend, so the talk wasn't necessary. I just messed up.

What am I supposed to do now? I ask myself.

For a few minutes, I sit in my car and listen to the radio, trying to think of the possible outcomes of every choice I could possible make now.

Calum is supposed to be leaving to go on a 'road trip' with Ashton in about an hour. The last thing I need to do is ruin his trip by confessing my mistakes.

They won't go untold, though. I can't hide it forever. Someone is going to get hurt no matter what, and I don't know if I can let it be either of them. It's my fault.

If only I wouldn't have gone to Michael's today! Everything would've been fine and going perfect if I hadn't stopped by.

Finally, I pull myself together and start the car. Pulling out of the driveway, I avoid looking back at the house. There's already too many painful memories.

As I drive home, it starts to rain. Perfect. This day couldn't get any worse. My best friend is in love with me, and not only am I playing with his feelings, I'm also dating his best friend. And I cheated on his best friend with him. Now, my best friend hates me.

When I get to my house, it's pouring. I race to the front door, wishing that we had an awning.

I reach into my purse to grab my keys, but the only key I have is to my car.

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" I yell as I pound on the door.

I look at our driveway to see that Hailey's car is nowhere to be seen, even though it's her day off. The day really could get worse.

Quickly, I dial her number. It only rings twice before she picks up.

"We need to talk when I get home," she says urgently.

"Right, uh, I'm locked out of the house, so I'm just gonna stand in the rain and wait until you get here."

I hear her scoff through the phone. "I'll be home in 15 minutes."

Before I can say anything else, she hangs up.

Sighing, I press my back against the dark green door, wishing that I was at my parents' house. It was small, but nice. Right now, I wouldn't be soaked to the bone in cold rain if I were locked out of their house.

I sit down by the door, rethinking the events of the afternoon. I think back even farther, to the moment that I first slept with Michael. I guess I should've predicted this. No good thing ever comes without a price. This price was losing my best friend.

Burying my head in my hands, I start to sob again. I miss the way things were when James was still here. My life seemed to be together then. I had a great boyfriend, a decent house, the best roommate I could ask for, and a great student-teaching job.

I don't regret running into Michael again, or meeting Calum. I'm glad they're in my life. But my price to being with them is knowing that I'm going to hurt them.

My head raises when I hear the sound of a car. Sure enough, it's Hailey. A tall blonde gets out of the passenger seat.

Luke.