Planes, Clichés, and Confessions

Alyssa's POV

"Flight 505 to New York City is now boarding," I hear the flight attended announce over the intercom.

Sighing, I rise and grab my bags. I take another look at the surroundings, wondering the next time I'll be back in this country.

I start to second-guess myself and reconsider, but then I think about all the hurt I've caused. I've hurt everyone. Calum and Michael, especially.

My eyes feel hot with tears as I get in line to board my flight.

No more tears, I tell myself as I blink rapidly. You're doing this for them. It's the best thing for everyone.

As I file in line in front of a young couple, I do the only thing I can think of. Pray.

Dear God, I'm afraid. So afraid. I'm so scared that I'm making a mistake by leaving Sydney. Please, please give me a sign if I should stay here. One small sign, and I'll run home as fast as I can. If I should leave, let me be safe in James's home.

The line gets shorter, and I hear the young couple whisper behind me.

"I can't believe we're actually doing this," the boy says.

The girl giggles. "Me either, but I think we're ready to start our own life."

"I love you, Marissa."

"I love you, too, Neil."

My mind drifts back to Michael's confession.

I didn't plan on falling in love with you.

The feeling is mutual, Michael. So mutual.

They say that you can't choose who you fall in love with. That you can't control your feelings, no matter who they're for. When you click with a person, anything could happen, which explains why so many people fall for their best friends. It just... works. Most of the time, you don't want it to happen, but when it's all said and done, you're so glad it did.

I remember as a child, I would always ask my mum why she never called my dad the love of her life. Instead, she always referred to him as her soulmate. She explained it in two simple sentences that I'll never forget.

"You can choose the love of your life, but your soulmate is something decided long before you come into existence. Everyone has one, it's just a matter of finding them."

Listening to the couple's conversation, I've finally realized that I've found mine. Michael is the one I can't live without. And I need to tell him.

What would he say? Would he shove me away after everything that's happened? Or would he want to hold me in his arms at night to listen to the sound of my heartbeat?

Enough, I tell myself. Michael needs to know.

But it's too late.

"Miss," the flight attendant says. "I need your boarding pass."

Taking a deep breath, I hand it to her and begin to trudge toward the plane, until I hear it.

"ALYSSA!"

Stopping dead in my tracks, I feel a force bump against my suitcase.

"Ouch," a girl mutters.

I shoot her a quick glance. It's the girl that was behind me. She's still holding her lover's hand, as if she'll never let go. My heart aches as I realize how much I want that. I need that.

"I'm so sorry," I say to her, tears filling my eyes as I run back out to the terminal.

"Alyssa!" I hear Michael call again.