CSI: 5 Seconds of Summer

Michael's POV

"Three more!" Megan grunts as she does another burpee.

I stand up and pretend to jump before going back down to the ground. By the time I'm finished, Megan and Luke are catching their breath in between gulps of water.

"How the hell did you get finished before me?" I pant. "I started before you guys did."

Luke shrugs and takes a swig of water. "I guess that Cal forcing me to go to the gym with him has done something, after all."

I roll my eyes. Damn, I really need to go to the gym with Ashton more often.

I walk over to Megan and snatch the bottled water out of her hand, quickly taking a drink.

"Hey!" she calls out with a small giggle.

Chugging the water, I ignore her comment until I throw the empty bottle at her.

"Thanks," I say with a smile. She rolls her eyes and looks at Luke, who looks like he wants to hurt me.

"Calm down, Lukey Boy," I tell him. "Meg and I are bros. It's all good, right?"

She smiles and high-fives me. "Damn right, Clifford!"

Laughing, I slap my hands together and rub them. "Alright, ready to go on a run?"

"Are you sure about that, mate?" asks Luke. "You look like you're about to drop."

The blonde boy stops for a minute and looks at me. I look back with a blank face, my mind wandering to Alyssa and Calum once again. My head shakes slightly, trying to get the images of them out of my head. I couldn't bear the thought of my best friend being with the girl I love any longer.

"I'm fine," I lie with a smile. "Just wanna get in shape, you know?"

"You only work out when you wanna take your mind off something," he tells me. "Don't try to lie to me."

Shrugging, I jog out the door and onto the street. I turn around to find Megan right on my heels, and Luke isn't far behind her. Those damn long legs of his.

A few minutes later, I start to slow down. My breathing becomes heavy and Megan dashes in front of me. Her head whips back to show the wicked grin on her face. She's a competitive one.

Luke and I run next to each other for a little while until I can't breathe. I stop in my tracks and place my hands on my knees as I pant.

"If you put your hands above your head, it helps," he says to me as he lifts my arms.

My breathing becomes less ragged almost immediately. I stand upright and let out a light cough.

"Come on, boys!" Megan calls from in front of us. "We don't have all night!"

Alyssa and Calum do, I say to myself.

A sudden rush of energy comes upon me, and I sprint toward Megan, who has stopped to wait for Luke and I.

"Wait up!" Luke calls from behind me. I hear his footsteps fast approaching.

Meg's shadowed frame becomes closer. As I continue to run, I can feel my legs burning. My whole body is starting to hurt from all the random exercise I've been doing since Lyss and Calum left. I'll definitely be paying for this tomorrow.

But this physical pain is better than acknowledging how broken my heart is.

When I stop next to Megan, my calves are practically screaming. It takes everything in me to stay standing without shaking like a leaf.