Chapter Six

I was not mentally prepared to go to work today. I was still upset about Brendon’s date, and I didn't really want to deal with Laura and Donny either. But I did want to get paid. I had to get paid. 

Today, my dad was moving out. It was July first. I wasn’t necessarily excited, but I was kind of sick of waiting. It was awkward being in the house with both parents. They still talked and acted like old friends, but the atmosphere was off. I felt awkward and they did too. My dad was weird about everything and my mom didn’t want to reveal any specific details. So I just pretended like everything was normal. That’s what we had to do, anyways. 

I ran downstairs after grabbing my stuff. After the incident on Friday, I had decided to get ready first, then get breakfast if I had the time. On off days, I’d just eat at work. Today, I was able to eat a bowl of cereal. I was just finishing when I heard someone open a door.

“Morning, kiddo,” my dad said. His voice was gruff and quiet. It seemed like he had been crying, either last night or early this morning. He had slept in the basement, so I wouldn’t know anyways.

“Morning, Dad,” I replied. “I gotta head out to work, but I’ll see you—”

“No, I’ll be outta here by the time you get home,” he interrupted. His eyes held a permanent frown, but his mouth formed a sad smile. “I’ll call tonight, kiddo,” he mumbled. I walked over and gave him a long hug. He wasn’t perfect, but he was my dad. I’d miss having him around. And I’d definitely miss his cooking. 

After saying a sad goodbye to my dad, I went outside to the car. I hopped in and sighed. The following months would be very long. My dad had decided that he was going to call me every night to say goodnight (as if I was a toddler), and I’d have to stay with him every other Saturday. It would be Sunday too, but I had work. I wasn’t sure why I had to do all these things. I’d be the one putting in the most time, for sure. I had better things to do. But he was my dad and I couldn’t really argue with him.

I drove to work, absentmindedly flipping through radio stations. I stopped when I heard a familiar song. Humming along, I tried not to think about everything else in the world. It seemed that a lot was going wrong for me. I just hoped I could get to the good things soon.

When I arrived at work, I remembered that today was special. Brendon had come here an hour earlier than usual, because he was teaching swimming classes. 

The country club ran swimming classes for young children of members. The classes were free to members, and non-members had to pay for them. Brendon would have to teach them every Sunday and Thursday morning for the entire month of July. I pitied him. But I also didn’t. Because I “didn’t like him” now.

Donny and Laura were surprisingly both there when I got to the shack. They watched Brendon instruct the kids on pool safety. I sat down on my chair and leaned on the counter, watching too. Water dripped down his tan skin, leaving subtle marks on his back. The sun seemed to focus on him, pointing its rays in his direction. As he demonstrated to the children, he lit up, his skin shining. His now wet hair glistened in the sunlight. My eyes traced every muscle, every inch.

“Wow, you are so into him,” Donny said. His voice wasn’t too loud, but it wasn’t quiet either. I stared at Brendon with wide eyes, but he didn’t look back. I sighed with relief and punched Donny’s shoulder.

“I am not. And get out of his seat.”

He laughed. “Oh, come on. You’re madly in love.” His eyes focused on my flushed face. “Look at your eyes!”

“I don’t blame you,” Laura said, “He’s really hot.”

Donny glanced at her, frowning. “Is he? Is he really?”