Chapter Nineteen

My Wednesdays had been pretty busy recently.  But today, I was actually free. Until seven o’clock. My friends were all coming over to watch a movie. My mom wasn't exactly thrilled at the prospect of having  eight kids over, but she had plans that night anyways -- whatever that meant. All she asked was that I didn’t do anything she wouldn't do. I didn’t actually know what she would or wouldn’t do, so I decided that I was free to do whatever I wanted. 

Everyone was coming over at seven, so I had the whole day to prepare. I didn’t know which movie we were going to watch. And I assumed I should get popcorn or something to eat. This meant that I had two stops today: the library and the grocery store. First, I’d pick up the movie. 

I currently sat in the breakfast room, slurping milky cereal. A glass of orange juice sat next to the bowl. I waited until after eating to drink the juice, since the taste of the milk could ruin that of the orange juice. I hated that taste more than most things. 

After drinking the whole glass in one big gulp, I went upstairs to get dressed. My eyes looked tiredly back at me in the mirror. I hadn’t slept well the night before. Maybe I had too much to think about recently. I rubbed my eyes and brushed my teeth, then shuffled to my room. 

Brendon’s red sweatshirt still hung on my desk chair, as a reminder of the problem I was currently having. I wondered if he'd ever want it back. I wondered if I would give it back once he asked. Also, I wondered if Jennie would’ve had the same sweatshirt if they were still together. If Brendon wasn’t gay, he obviously liked his ex before they broke up. I had conflicted feelings about it. I wasn’t jealous -- I knew Brendon liked me. But I was concerned. 

I grabbed the closest shirt and a pair of shorts, then went back downstairs. My keys were waiting on the counter for me. So was a note from my mom. 

It read: Pls pick up allspice at the store! Thx! 

After reading my mom’s note, I added her weird spice to the list, and walked to the door. I stepped outside, locking the door behind me. The sun was hot that day. It glared down at me. My eyes squinted as I walked to the carport. 

My car was warm from the sun and the seatbelt threatened to melt the skin on my neck. My legs squirmed against the hot fabric of the seat. I missed the air conditioning  of my home. But I turned the car on (and the AC), and started to drive. The vehicle cooled as time passed. I knew it’d be just as hot when I got back from the library. Music played from the CD Brendon had forgotten when we went on our date. Memories of the day played through my mind. The thoughts of Brendon made me smile, but the other thoughts burned in the back of my head. 

I pulled into an empty space in the library parking lot. Only four other cars sat in the lot -- one contained two people looking at a map. I hopped out of the car and strolled to the door. It was a large brick building, with long glass windows stretching from the first floor to the second. I saw bookshelves through the glass. In the basement, there was a collection of CDs, VHS tapes, and DVDs. 

An older woman greeted me as I walked through the room, to the stairs. She looked familiar -- maybe a friend’s mother. I waved back and started down the stairs. 

The romantic comedy section seemed like a good fit for the night. We’d probably just talk through the entire thing anyways. I felt like I’d seen all of the films occupying these shelves. I grabbed a random, colorful box. It seemed like it’d be good enough. 

***

Popcorn cooked in the microwave, filling the room with the scent of butter and salt. I spread out two blankets on the floor of the living room. There wasn’t enough room for all of us on the couch. I had strategically moved the coffee table to the side of the sectional. It looked like an oversized end table now.