Chapter Twenty-Eight

Wednesday was an odd day for a party. But Angie didn’t care. And neither did I — it was my day off.

It was August eighth now — just a couple more weeks and I’d be going back to school. Late August was a terrible time to be in school, but it beat having finals in June. June was worse.

Since it was now August, some things had to happen. The first being our annual summer birthday party. For some reason, almost fifty percent of my close friends were born in the summer. Laura, Angie, Amy, and Walter all had birthdays around this time. Walt and Amy were born two days apart — Amy on August twenty-eighth, and Walter on August thirtieth. Their birthdays would fall during school this year. Laura and Angie’s birthdays had both passed. They had celebrations with their families and close friends, but the big party would be today. It was easier to just celebrate all four birthdays at once.

My birthday was always celebrated independently. I couldn't imagine sharing a party with three other people. I guess no one really cared — they had all probably done their own little parties. 

At the moment, I was in the car with Amy, Walter, Reuben and Mags. We were on our way to the party. I was currently urging Amy not to drink, as she would likely embarrass herself before she could even blow out the candles.

“Just please stay sober until it’s cake time. That’s all I ask,” I begged Amy. She rolled her eyes.

“Amy, be good,” Walter said. 

I threw my arm around Amy’s shoulder. She frowned, but nodded in surrender. I thanked her and Rueben pulled over about a block away from the house. We’d walk over from there. It was easier to stay away from the drunks and crazies of Angie’s parties.

My feet dragged against the asphalt road as we walked. I wasn’t in the mood for a party. Plus, I apparently missed Laura’s birthday on a work day. It was the day I skipped work after my talk with Jennie. Claire told me about it the other day. I felt infinitely terrible.

Amy slouched as well. She wasn’t happy about her need for sobriety. In her opinion, everything was more fun with alcohol. I disagreed (especially when remembering the last party we’d been to). 

“Here we are,” Mags said, patting Walt’s shoulder. “Ready to go, birthday boy?”

“Yes, ma’am,” he said. 

“Is Zoe coming?” Reuben asked. 

“Yeah, she’s meeting me in the kitchen.”

“Sick.”

We walked up the surprisingly neat driveway, to the front door. Laura and Angie were both there to greet use, as usual. Laura wasn’t drunk yet, by some miracle.

“Hey, guys!” Laura beamed. “Come in, come in!” 

We exchanged greetings and entered the house. In the foyer was a long folding table covered in several varieties of alcohol. This was the only birthday present needed. I placed a small bottle of rose (which I stole from my mom’s dresser) on the table, and everyone else did the same. Somehow, Reuben was able to smuggle a huge bottle of Jack Daniels. 

Most of the people I knew were standing in the kitchen. Claire, Theo, Laura, and her plus one — Donny. I hugged everyone and leaned against the counter.

“Laura, I’m so sorry,” I said, “I had no idea it was your birthday that day.”

“It’s fine,” she laughed, “Why’d you skip, anyways?”

“I talked to Jennie that day and I didn’t want to see Brendon,” I muttered. This caused more laughter from Laura.

Donny held back his own. “Emmett, you know what else you missed that day?”