Chapter Fourteen

Waking up in Brendon’s arms was an interesting sensation. It was even more interesting when his mother came into the room to wake him up for work. 

“Bre--” she stopped. I pretended to sleep, closing my eyes and leaning into him. I felt her heavy footsteps walk around the room. She eventually returned to the doorway. “Brendon! Time for work!” And with that, she slammed the door and went back downstairs.

He grumbled something about his alarm clock. I guess it didn’t go off. Either that, or we both slept through it. Brendon sat up and stretched. I turned over. It seemed too early to wake up. Our shift was at eight. I didn’t know how early it was right now.

“Wakey wakey,” Brendon mumbled. He planted a chaste kiss on my cheek, then left the bed. “I’ll make us eggs if you get up…”

I yawned and sat up. “You can cook?”

“Sure. Fried eggs are easy.”

“Over-easy?” I laughed at my own pun. He chuckled, then walked over to the dresser. As he changed, I gazed at him longingly. If only his mom hadn’t gotten in our way. Maybe I would’ve seen his famous tattoo (among other things).

He handed me some clothes and said, “Here.” I stood up and got dressed. I could almost feel his eyes on me. It made me want to continue where we left off the night before. “Does your mom know you’re here?”

“Shit.”

***

After a lovely breakfast with Brendon and his mom, we walked to our cars. He waved goodbye as I hopped into mine. I reached for my phone and cringed. Twenty missed calls, countless messages from both my mom and dad. I wouldn’t be surprised if they filed a missing persons report. I texted my mom quickly, then pulled out of the driveway behind Brendon. 

All my mom said in response was that we needed to talk. This couldn’t be good. They could ground me. What if I couldn’t even go on my date? What if my mom banned me from ever talking to Brendon again? I wouldn’t blame her -- he’d turned out to be a pretty bad influence on me. But he was also the person who made me see the good in my parents. He wasn’t all bad. I just hoped my mom would see that too.

Brendon stole my parking space, which meant I had to spend an extra five minutes finding a new one. He’d regret that later. I spotted him as we both walked towards the gates. He winked. 

“You asshole,” I muttered. He just smiled. 

“What happened with your mom?”

“She said we need to talk. She’ll probably never let me see you again,” I said dramatically. The security guard looked at us weirdly as we checked in. Brendon glared at him and took my hand. We strolled to the pool in silence. Worries about my parents filled my mind.

Pam was waiting for us when we arrived at the pool. In her hand was a familiar camera -- the one we had found just a couple weeks ago. She tapped her foot weirdly. 

“Woah,” she said as we got closer. Her eyes fell to our interlocked hands. “Did I miss something?”

“Uh…” Brendon stuttered. Talking to our boss about this wasn’t something we wanted to do today. Brendon’s hand slowly slipped away from mine. I couldn’t tell if he was embarrassed by me, or just not willing to explain to Pam.

“Anyway, does this belong to either of you meatheads?” I raised my eyebrows at the term “meathead”. I wasn’t a small guy, and neither was Brendon, but neither of us were super big and muscular. I considered myself to be pretty average, if not a little short. Brendon was taller, but not like some of the guys in our grade.