26

Celaena's eyes snapped open.

Something was wrong. Something didn't feel right.

She cast her gaze to Sam, sound asleep by her side, mouth parted as his chest rose and fell with each breath. As carefully as she could, she slipped from the bed, and crept outside to the main room.

The door to Enya's room stood across the space, and Celaena felt extremely foolish as she padded closer.

It was ajar.

She leaned forwards, peering through the crack. Celaena could see two figures, stood so close together they almost seemed one - but she couldn't see exactly what they were doing as two rough hands clamped over her face.

~

Enya's eyes snapped open.

Connall Moonbeam stood over her, fingers reaching for her throat.

'What are you doing?' she hissed.

He said nothing, hand snaking closer.

Enya grabbed his arm, digging in her nails. 'What are you doing.'

He was silent, but his dark eyes were blazing with a ferocious intensity that had her fully awake. His hand darted forwards.

Enya twisted, leaping out of the bed. 'Bastard.'

Connall was suddenly behind her, a hand yanking her hair back, and Enya jabbed an elbow into his gut. He groaned softly, but drove a knee for her now-exposed ribs.

Enya punched him in the manhood before his knee made contact with her ruffled nightgown.

Then she spat into his eyes.

She heard him stumble backwards, hissing a curse. 'I'm sorry,' he muttered furiously. 'I'm so sorry-'

He disappeared - and appeared in front of her, so close that they shared the same breath, and forced a dagger under her chin, the edge pricking her throat.

Enya leaned forwards.

And Connall involuntarily shifted the blade away, ignoring the would-be death strike.

Enya whirled, grabbing the blade with her hand.

Her blood began dripping onto the ground, and Connall's eyes widened. He tugged at the dagger, but her hold didn't budge. The pain barely registered as the adrenaline rushed through her body, muting all other feeling. Her sleeve grew heavier, blood soaking the fabric with every tense heartbeat that followed.

Connall's resolve collapsed. 'Stop!'

She didn't.

His voice grew panicked. 'Enya - stop.'

She clenched her fist tighter.

'Please!'

She looked at him. And slowly let go of the dagger.

It clattered to the ground where no one made a move to pick it up.

'Why didn't you kill me?' Enya whispered. 'I know why you're here.'

Connall shook his head. 'I-' It appeared words were failing him. 'I-'

Enya jabbed a crimson-covered finger into his chest. 'Idiot.' She smiled suddenly. 'You rutting idiot.'

She grabbed his collar, drawing him in and gazing into his shadowed eyes. 'Connall,' she murmured, tasting his name on her tongue, savouring the way it danced around her lips. 'Connall Moonbeam.'

'Enya,' he whispered. 'I'm so sorry. It wasn't me... It wasn't...'

'Pup,' she teased. 'I know.'

Connall took her bloodstained hand. 'I'm so sorry, Enya.' But as he spoke, the wound slowly knitted together, till there was only a jagged scar where the cut once lay.