Provoked

Starting school on a Tuesday feels weird, as if I've been thrown off the typical cycle of life. Thankfully, Brandon's absence isn't all that noticeable because our mornings as a family are always insane. 

The morning flies by in a rush, and before I know it I'm seated in first period. Most of the class is full when a 5'4 brunette I call my bestfriend comes rushing in before the bell rings. Brynn. God I missed her.

My eyes light up as we make eye contact, and her expression morphs into fake annoyance as she quickly sits in the empty chair next to me, "I thought you died, what happened?!" 

Our teacher Mrs. Wiseley had just begun the lesson, her back to us as she presents something onto the board.

In this moment I realize Brynn doesn't know about anything yet, "Oh my god I'm so sorry, Nathan took my phone away and-"

"Brynn? Ella? Is there something you would like to share with the class?" Mrs. Wiseley asks us, her voice challenging and smug. 

I quickly turn away from my best friend, "No, sorry."

"That's what I thought." she replies before turning back to the board. I glance over at Brynn, mouthing an 'I'll tell you later'. She smiles and nods at me before returning her attention to the front of the classroom.

We have a break between first and second period and that's when I fill my best friend in on everything that happened. We're seated outside by the large oak tree where Camden had first approached me. 

"He just left?" She asks referring to Brandon, shock apparent on her face. 

"Yeah. But honestly it's not that far away and I think it'll be good for him." I defend, surprising myself at how quickly my viewpoint changed over the course of 2 days. 

"That's the spirit! Even though he was my favorite." she says sadly before adding, "but oh my god Ella I have so much to tell you!" 

I look up at her in anticipation, Brynn always had something to tell me, "spill."

"So you know how I thought you died? Well Camden did too. He texted me asking if you were okay because you weren't answering his calls. He suggested we go to your house after school if you didn't show up today." she takes a breath before continuing, "but anyway his older brother is throwing a party tonight at his house and that's why Camden was calling you in the first place!! To ask if you could come-"

"Wait!" I interrupt her, "Camden wants me to come to his older brother's party?" I stare at her with wide eyes.

"Yes, that's what I just said! Everyone's gonna be there and it's this big deal and oh my gosh please say yes!" she exclaims, now grabbing my hands. Her grin hard to miss.

"Of course I'll go! But is he ok with you inviting me?" I ask.

"Yeah, I see you first period so we figured to let you know as soon as possible so you can ask your brothers if you can go." 

My smile immediately falls. I forgot I have 6 demonic, protective older brothers that would most definitely say no.

"I was worried about that too." she sighs, picking up on my solemn expression.

"But what if you just do it anyway? It's just one party." she tries.

I laugh, "Brynn. A party hosted by someone 3 years older than us. My brothers will most definitely be there."

She sighs, a defeated look on her face, "You're right. And even if they aren't there, their friends will let them know if they saw you. They have eyes everywhere."