Ch. 81 - Apologies

~ Chapter 81: Apologies ~

[ Jackie’s POV: ]

Justin lowered his head and let out a small chuckle. I stared at him, waiting for an answer as I crossed my arms.

“How’d you know?” he asked, finally looking into my eyes.

“I can smell it,” I said in an obvious tone. “I’m not stupid, you know.”

He chuckled again. “I didn’t say you were.”

“I’m also not an idiot. I know you’re still high.”

“It’s wearing off.”

“That’s not the point, Justin,” I let out a frustrated sigh. “You were doing so well, I didn’t think something happened were you would’ve resorted to weed again. That’s offensive to me, because instead of going off to smoke, you could’ve just talked to me about it. I thought you trusted me, but I haven’t heard from you in days..”

I turned around, ready to leave. If this is how he’s going to be, I’m just going to back off until he screws his head back on.

Justin carefully placed his guitar on the ground and stood up, grabbing my arm gently and stopping me.

“Jackie, wait,” he whispered, and I slowly turned to face him again. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to ignore you like that.”

I rolled my eyes and tried to escape his grip but he held me tighter. “Don’t go yet,” he said. “Just please let me explain.”

I sighed as he released my arm to grab my hand instead. He led me towards the couch and urged me to sit, so I did.

“It’s kind of a long story,” he ran a hand through his hair and I watched him as he stared at the floor for a while longer, probably thinking of ways to begin.

“I’ve been at Za’s,” he murmured. “That’s where I got the weed.”

I frowned, “Why would you do that?”

He leaned forward and buried his head in his hands and it was suddenly quiet. I could hear the clanking of rain against the windows and I began to get butterflies in my stomach. His silence was making me anxious.

“Something happened..” his voice came out muffled. He lifted his head slightly and stared at his hands, but it was so dark I couldn’t quite see his face.

“I’m listening,” I assured him. I wanted to reach out and place my hand on his back to comfort him, but my body wouldn’t move.

“K-Ka.. Um.. Sh-She, uh..” his voice was shaking. He paused and formed fists with his hand before frustratingly slamming them down on his lap. “S-Sorry..”