forty

For about the past five minutes I could hear the almost inaudible 'ting' of my iPhone, hinting that someone was persistently texting me. As the man, who as moments ago in front of me, was being excused out of the room by his friend, I took out my iPhone from the clutch, and Kai's name lit up on the screen. 

The same instant my eyes moved toward the time, which showed eleven-thirty. Intending to scold him for not sleeping, I opened the texts sent by him. As I read his countless messages one by one, I couldn't help the little shake of my head and a smile at his concern-filled words, he was asking me why I wasn't home when I told him I'll probably there till eleven, did I take any drink from anyone, why am I not replying, and the last and best one -where my stupid-fool brother is trying to appear big; should he come to take me home If I have drunk too much (which I absolutely shouldn't have) but still.

Not wanting for him to wait any longer, I hurriedly replied, first rebuking him that he was still awake and ensuring that I was fine, will reach the mansion around twelve.

"Miss Ciarve, I excuse of the interruption and," My focus once again moved toward the man, when his voice reached my ears, I didn't realize when he returned and stood just a few steps away from me. Once again, I met his indifferent face and gaze as after a second of pause he resumed, "My words, if you found them too forward."

For a second my unblinking eyes just stared at him for his not-so-direct apology, I have no doubt that I'm probably the first person he excused his attitude from. I know he was offended at my degrading words, which I had every right to say. If not for his friend's impromptu appearance, he would have long lost his calm façade.

Raising a brow, I slightly smiled, "I don't care to know what benefits you have in that suggestion of yours, but if I agree, what's in there for me?"

Even hearing my unexpected words, his silent stare didn't falter. It was not entirely shocking for me when Aris Salvadge mentioned me to become his girlfriend like we were talking about some business deal. If he considers this a business deal then, I too expect some benefit from this bizarre proposal of his. Although, I like to do business deals in the meeting rooms, not in the silent room of a nightclub.

"Whatever you say."

Holding his gaze at his carefree words, I slowly leaned against the counter behind me, and affirmed, "That's the problem Mr. Salvadge, there's nothing that I want from you."

As usual, his face didn't have much of a reaction, but the subtle way his lips rose as he turned around and I heard him respond, "What if there is."

The edgy tone of asserted possibility in his uttered words confused me a little, I saw him walking toward the wall full of decoratives, reaching out he easily picked a fairly thick file from a shelf and turned around to once again facing me. In his perfectly elegant stance, he advanced and halted right a few steps away, extended the papers in his hand toward me.

I took the papers, and without seeking any words from him opened them, turning pages one by one, taking in the outlines of the content. My body slowly straightened and stood straight, facing the man in front of me completely.

When I was done, my gaze involuntarily raised toward him, my face probably had the coldest expressions and voiced in the sharpest tone possible, "Mr. Salvadge, you sure came prepared."

"I can say the same about you, Miss Ciarve."

Was his smug response, I know he was hinting about me knowing Zyair, to find his identity can't be considered a simple matter. And What need I had to find about that man? Obviously, If only I tried to find information about the man standing here, who called me, and to find with what kind of people he surrounds himself with. Aris Salvadge must be considering that I have dug way too deep, even deeper, to find about that man or about him, no kidding. Well, I expected Zyair to lose his composure when I exposed his identity. I don't care if he believes it or not that I just guessed his name, I was no longer in the mood to keep up the act, and the way his face lost all his color, I quite enjoyed the look.