forty-one

"Kai, slow down. Don't trip over the stairs!"

I know no matter how much I yell this child won't listen, I took my jacket and other things to hurriedly rush behind him out of my room's door. As I reached near, and just like what I predicted and warned him against, I saw him swiftly leaping through stairs without a single care. I was going to once again shout but his feet already touched the floor and turned around to face me with a huge-cheeky smile.

"Come on Allea, we will be late!"

Seeing me giving him narrowed eyes, he excitedly shouted with a wide grin and rushed toward the main door. Only this stupid-fool can be this enthusiastic at four in the morning. While on the other hand, I felt like falling asleep even on the cold floor if I could.

These past days suddenly get excessively busy, although I predicted it, with all the abroad projects reports coming in to review and the problems they are facing to having quite long meetings making about the next big scale project to score —in addition to settling everything regarding the prior Carlocles project, which fully finalized after the board meeting, to start the work. Yesterday night, I came home at probably twelve, because of not having dinner with Kai, so, he was also not there to remind me and I entirely forgot that: Thursday, meaning today, was Jackson's flight. Half an hour ago, this fool of a brother, barged in my room, fully dressed, and pushed me to wake up, so we could go and pick Jackson up.

That's when the cold water was splashed on my much-awaited sleep. 

With a helpless and dejected sigh, I followed him, walking down the stairs and out of the main door. As I don't trust myself to drive in my sleep-deprived state, we are going with a driver and as usual, guards following behind us. When I sat in the car, Kai has already made himself comfortable with a quite sparkling look on his face.

"You should have set the alarm knowing how easily you forget everything. I did it the moment Jackson informed me."

Seeing me closing my eyes and leaning against the seat, I heard Kai softly advising me or more like subtly mocking me.

Having no strength to bicker with him, I meekly mumbled, "So sleepy, I have to fulfill my sleep before that old-man makes my life hell."

Although my words were stated blankly yet sarcasm was full in them, then I fully closed my eyes and heard Kai laughing, but he didn't say anything further and let me get a moment of sleep. I know why he's too happy because he knows now that Jackson will stay with us, he never let me scold or put even the harmless restrictions on Kai at his mistakes. Saying a single thing to Kai becomes unattainable, as like a knight Jackson's always there to put his sword on my neck. He doesn't even care to hide that Kai's his favorite, that old-man.

Tomorrow's Kai's birthday and Jackson, who usually comes about a few days before it, reaching here just a day prior. Because, at my request, he has undergown such long journeys, so I will not say a single thing to him as I'm his grateful. But come to think of it, I'm probably more worn-out than him as whenever Jackson has to fly above five-plus hours, he uses a private plane. And from Windhoek to here, the flight is around fifteen-plus hours long, and I don't doubt he has spent it comfortably. I hope that's the matter, I don't want him to be severely jet-lagged. I haven't talked to Jackson about how he handled matters in Namibia Sancturny, but I was informed regarding it probably on Tuesday evening that the matter has been resolved and that same day he confirmed his arrival. Ah, yes, it took me a day to even forgot about it.

[Disclaimer: This work is only published on watt/pad under profile: itsrujihere. The complete rights of the work: Allea belongs under this profile and Ruji. If you're reading [Allea] on some platform other than watt/pad(Unless I, Ruji, say so) then, I'm pretty sure they are stealing my work (i.e, a site that's name start with novel), please don't support the thief.]