forty-five

My hands reached for his jacket, straightening it a little, I raised my eyes to look into his blue ones and urged, "Just don't wander off here and there, okay?"

Bobbing his head up and down cutely, he stood straight and stared at me quietly. Seeing him being so obedient, my hand habitually moved to ruffle his hair. To which Kai, quickly bent side-way and dodged my hand, while reminding me loudly, "Don't! I spent a long time styling them!"

Seeing his action, a smile spread over my lips, "I can't see it though," teasing him I shrugged. Narrowing his eyes toward me, his hands moved toward his hair and started adjusting them. With a light smile, I added, "In fact, they look more messy than usual." 

His actions paused as he once again looked at me and shaking his head, calmly added, "That's the style."

"Oh..."

Seeing that I was no longer attempting to ruffle his hair, he relaxed a little and started looked while exclaiming that Jackson was still not out of his room. We are waiting for Jackson so we could leave for Nicholas Salvadge's mansion to attend the dinner. Seeing that there were no traces of Jackson to make his appearance, excusing himself, Kai ran toward Jackson's room to ask how much more time does he need.

My eyes followed Kai until he was out of sight, now that Kai's has begun to grow out of his soft features, he sure looks handsome and a little bigger in his jacket over a royal blue tee-shirt (with graphic designing on its front) and jeans. To keep it a little casual, I'm wearing an ivory satin (cowl neck) camisole tucked inside straight olive shade pants, held together by a darker shade belt, along with my similar olive coat, which I was not wearing yet, simply draped on my shoulder (with hair left open, with minimal makeup and accessories).

In between these random thoughts, my gaze moved toward the wristwatch I was wearing, seeing the time nearing eight in the evening, a little frown settled on my face. We probably will be the last one to reach there, just because of Jackson's laziness. Well, it's not my headache, he's the one who promised Mr. Salvadge. Recalling the night he asked Kai whether he wants to go or not the first thing Kai did, was to look at me. I didn't know what he was seeking —either my approval or the fact that I was unhappy over this or not. When I didn't express or said anything he directly told Jackson to just ask me.

I agreed, because what Jackson said was true, I have to start somewhere, to show Kai into the society, to help him familiarize himself and show what this side of the world holds. Although it's a little difficult to settle my heart, I also know I can't always hold Kai back because of my restrained thoughts. He has to face this world, that I fear is only capable of harming him, and I still have a long way of making my brother someone who can face anything, but I can just hope that these small steps will aid him in his growth.

Shortly I saw Kai coming back with a smile, behind him was Jackson dressed in a navy shade tuxedo, his hands were still busy fixing his tie, with a scowling face he was grumbling something under his breath.

As Kai reached me, with a failed attempt of suppressing his smile, he enunciated, "Jackson forgot how to wear a tie! So, he was watching tutorials."

No wonder he wasted so much time, nodding my head, with now Jackson here, I suggested to both of them, "Hm, let's go then."

Saying that I turned, and walked out of the mansion, the cars were ready by the main gate, taking the key from the driver of our car, I entered it. In the rearview mirror, my gaze momentarily flickered toward the SUV of guards, and as I was setting the GPS to Salvadge Mansion, Jackson and Kai also entered the car. When they settled, starting the car, we began the way toward our destination.