twelve

In the evening when I reached the mansion, it was decorated with colorful ribbons & balloons, and I remembered that a few weeks ago, Kai turned nine. Both Jackson and I were quite busy, so we didn't have time to spend with Kai and he too refused to have a party without us. Therefore, today we're celebrating his belated birthday. Kai didn't invite any friends, this is the first celebration after his father's death, that's why I didn't force him much and let him celebrate the way he wants.

After changing into casual jeans and a tee-shirt when I came down from my room I was welcomed with the sight of Jackson and Kai seated in the living room.

"Why do you have to leave?"

At Kai's question, Jackson glanced at me and then at him, "There is something inside my brain, I have to get its treatment."

Jackson has always been careful with Kai, and always uses a soft tone with him, treating him as a one-year-old kid. Kai, the smart child he's, didn't ask much and gave him an understanding nod.

"When are you leaving?"

"Tomorrow."

Jackson waited for Kai's response, I know this is sudden for Kai but as soon as Jackson gets the treatment the better it will be.

Jackson, who was looking seriously at the child in front of him received a big smile from him when Kai reacted, "Okay, come back strong! We'll wait for you!"

I can see Jackson's lips curled up, "You have to listen to Allea, be good." Jackson pointed at me, Kai also turned to face me standing a few steps away from them, he narrowed his eyes and huffed.

"I will, but she's so mean to me!"

Mean he says, I don't know what does he thinks of himself, now that he has learned self-defense, and after beating school bullies, he considers himself the hero of people in dismal. Whenever someone gets bullied, they approach him and this over-confident child teaches bullies the lesson they deserve, moreover, he has learned to tackle them outside school.

Last Thursday, while playing a knight in shining armor, he came home with the bruise and kept hiding from me. When I came to know, I took all his electronics and canceled his martial arts classes for the next three months, which he was adamant to keep practicing for two years. I don't care if he wants to be a hero but nine-year-old fighting with a seventeen years old, did he even think before doing that? Stupid, stupid child.

Jackson glanced at me and then at Kai with puffed cheeks, ignoring them I turned toward the servants, telling them to bring the cake and set the dinner.

"Then you tell me, I'll be meaner to her."

Although I'm standing a little far from them, I still heard Jackson's whisper to Kai, at which his giggling could be heard.

After that, the three of us along with all the servants settled in our decorated living room, where Kai with his beaming smile cut the cake while the people around him cheered. Taking the first bite himself, he gave Jackson the next and then to me, forgetting that a moment ago he was blaming me.

After cutting his cake, Kai forced us to click pictures, the whole time not once his smile faded. This is the first time after his father's death, he seems so happy, so later when he begged me to let him have just one round of video games, considering that it was his day, I allowed him.

"Here alone, reminiscing your young life?"

When our small celebration ended, and I was going back to my room to gain my much-awaited sleep, I noticed a forgotten figure sitting on the garden's bench. I don't know why but seeing him in the darkness, staring at nothing but still flowers, made me come here and disturb his solace. I know everyone deserves their time but seeing him like this -like he was sad and afraid, made me a little concerned for him. I have never seen him like this, his back never looked this forlorn. I know he will be leaving tomorrow to fight for his life and no one will there with him. He can only be his own support, and we can do nothing but cheer for him.

At my teasing words, Jackson didn't turn to face me, even if he did, neither he nor can I see his face. He didn't say anything for a second and patted next to him on the bench, I noticed his action and silently sat beside him. The dim-lighted mansion stood behind us,  the still flowers in front of us, and our surroundings drowned in darkness. The lamps were also off, the only source of light could be considered the twinkling stars in the sky. We both sat there quietly, not wanting to disturb the peace until Jackson mumbled.

"I never told you...but if not for you Kai and mine's life would be much worse-"

"Jackson, no, it wouldn't."

"Brat. Let me speak, because this is the only time you'll hear this from me so never forget."

Hearing the seriousness in his voice, I didn't interrupt him again and let him say whatever he wants to say.

"I always thought my life was mine, and no one deserved to be part of it. Then Odgen came, with him Sarah, and then Kai and I let them in. I had nothing but with Odgen we struggled for things and when we had everything, he left. That right was mine, but he left me with things I never wanted," he paused and sighed -maybe remembering about the life he had with his friend.

I know nothing about how Jackson's life was, my past self never cared but now him telling this to me himself only means one thing -somehow I also became a part of his life. Thinking about this, I can feel a giddy feeling inside me and a smile forming on my lips.

"Then came this illness and along with that, Kai and an immensely unwanted thing, you."

A light chuckle left my lips at his thoughts for me.

As he continued, his voice went deeper, "I have always been selfish, and I could only think for myself & my friend's son. Kai was young and you were young too but I could only choose you & pull you into a life you never deserved. A young girl shouldn't work like this -where her day and night become one. You never deserved this, but...you were our only option."

Jackson doesn't know what his words mean to me, I was so stupid to not see that not Jackson, not Kai not even Odgen Allgaier had any relation with me, but they still accepted me as their own. Kai as his sister and Jackson as his family, for what I did to them -this was nothing. This debt I have to pay, even if I have to give my life I won't hesitate. Still, his words touched me so deeply, even if I knew this, hearing from him feels really good.

"Nothing of this was forced on me -these are the choices I have made to never again lose another family."

At my words, silence again fell between us, he only hummed and we again sat there quietly staring at nothing but darkness.

"Now don't think of yourself too high, you're still a brat who kicked me out of my own office." And here we go again with a snarky Jackson.

"You're still sour about that."

"I'm, I have right to."

"Then stay sour, but don't get late for your morning flight. "

I know he hates it when people tell him what to do, therefore, before he could reprimand me again, I hurriedly walked out of his company & back toward my room.

As I stepped inside my room, for the first time the animosity I have for this room didn't surface, because of this happy feeling inside me. Everything's so different from a year ago, I feel relieved knowing that everything's going well. Jackson will be going to get his treatment, Kai's doing well and so am I.

Life could be this peaceful, I never knew.